Changing job during season? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  johnny boy    On:  Tue 29th November, 2016 at 13:59
johnny boy
#2  Changing job during season?  29 Nov '16 at 13:59
Hey, basically I've been offered a cleaning job at a hotel, and i'm thrilled to have the chance to do a season so I'm accepting it. However, at home I'm a bartender and I'd honestly rather be doing that, especially since part of the reason I'm going out is to improve my language skills (i've studied french before but mine is relatively basic).
I have heard that, through homesickness or injuries, quite a few people head home after christmas/new years. Is it common or possible for in-resort staff to move about jobs to fill these? What are the practical aspects eg does the ski pass provided by my current employer have to ve returned etc?
One last question: one of the companies i interviewed for had a 35 hour work week but you had to pay for your own ski pass, whereas everywhere else i've seen has 48 hour weeks or more. Is that 35 hr week common or something to do with french law?
         Jump to Top
OLD MAN OF LECH
Administrator
TRAVELING
#3  Re: Changing job during season?  30 Nov '16 at 03:22
Hi Johny boy and welcome to Natives forum.
You are right that some people who think they can do a season often realise after the hectic pace of Christmas & New Year, just really miss all that molly coddling by mummy & daddy and head home. So if you are in a hotel cleaning and have the relevant experience when someone leaves you could be in for a rapid promotion. If you stay with the same company, no probs re. Lift passes and all other benefits. If you change to another UK TO, you will have to return your pass to the company you are leaving but should get a new one from the new Co. If switching to a local bar, likelihood is you will lose all benefits and have to find everything yourself. UK TO's do work their staff hard and 48 hours is not unreasonable to work maybe more. Not sure who would get away with only 35 hrs.
         Jump to Top
johnny boy
#4  Re: Changing job during season?  1 Dec '16 at 13:10
Thank you! Do you know if the french companies pay better wages becauses they don't supply any of the extras? Or if your french already needs to be fluent to work with them?
         Jump to Top
OLD MAN OF LECH
Administrator
TRAVELING
#5  Re: Changing job during season?  1 Dec '16 at 13:49
Hi Johnboy,

The French are so insular, that if you wanted to work for a French company in France, then yes, French is a must. I don't really know about the wage structure there, so can't help you on that
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort