Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  garwickchamonix    On:  Mon 17th December, 2007 at 09:17
garwickchamonix
Les Houches
#1  Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  17 Dec '07 at 09:17
Tried the rattle of coins on the dashboard! Tried using the word 'tip' in answering numerous questions over the journey. ie, my tip of the week is... etc etc . Been super helpful answering questions from the geology of the valley (!) to the best lift pass, to weather forecast. Helped with luggage, allowed guests to use my mobile phone, dropped people at the cash machine, changed drop off destinations and not received one Euro in tips! What am I doing wrong? I even had two lots of Yanks in the bus, answered many many questions and still no tips! Need help quickly!!!!!
         Jump to Top
will_uk
Manchester, UK
#2  Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  18 Dec '07 at 23:20
One point...
A lot of yanks seem to have the impressions that a lot of people outside the USA get offended by tips (no... really!)
I had someone apologise after offering a tip (over a bar) and when I looked confused they asked if it was normal to tip "over here". I told them that there was a dirty and malicious rumour spreading that we don't like tips and that on their return they should ("please") do all they could to dispel it.

Have you tried being really non-subtle about it?
Get a small to mid sized bucket, stick a bit of paper to it with the word TIPS in thick black letters and put it out for all to see. (maybe be really cunning and turn the label to face the door as they get on and turn it to face back along the bus as they get off)
One bar (I forget which) in Chamonix many moons ago had "tips" and "thank you" written in about 6 different languages on the pot to make sure the message got across.

The flip side though is this "why does everyone expect tips for doing their job?" Haha.

Dunno if any other transfer drivers can pass on their wisdom. In fact maybe that's a point... Do you see other drivers at the airport? Maybe ask them what they do. It's not like you'd be in competition with them on the tips front - as that's just a bonus once you get them on the bus. ;)
Chamonix - gotta love it.
2008 season here I come!
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#3  Re: Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  19 Dec '07 at 10:11

Originally posted by garwickchamonix

Tried the rattle of coins on the dashboard! Tried using the word 'tip' in answering numerous questions over the journey. ie, my tip of the week is... etc etc . Been super helpful answering questions from the geology of the valley (!) to the best lift pass, to weather forecast. Helped with luggage, allowed guests to use my mobile phone, dropped people at the cash machine, changed drop off destinations and not received one Euro in tips! What am I doing wrong? I even had two lots of Yanks in the bus, answered many many questions and still no tips! Need help quickly!!!!!

And have you tipped people when you've been on transfer coaches in the past?
         Jump to Top
garwickchamonix
Les Houches
#4  Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  19 Dec '07 at 10:38
Yep - all the time, but I don't think saying that to my passengers will help!
         Jump to Top
Morzexpress.com
Morzine/Chamonix
#5  Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  28 Aug '09 at 12:55
You're trying to hard!

You need to be a lot more subtle... I'll explain in a moment

But first, all this information for the passengers is great, but if you're driving too fast, round bends, making them feel sick, shooting lights, just driving badly, OR smoking, listening to loud hiphop, wearing an ipod whilst driving, OR you smell, OR your breath smells.. or generally nattering to the passenger TOO much, Or, glancing at the passengers girlfriends chest ops: these can all be reasons that will make them just want to get out of the van as soon as they can!

So... a tried an tested solution for gleaning tips:

1. Carry loose change in your pocket.
2. At first drop-off in resort, at the back of the minibus, hand the passenger their luggage, wish them a good holiday, shake their hand...
They should tip. If not;
3. Then as you walk back to the drivers door, your hand is in your pocket, palm some loose change, then;
4. As you get back in the drivers seat place the loose change on the dashboard. (makes a nice ratterly noise).
5. The remaining passengers will have clocked this.
6. At next drop off, repeat 2-5.
7. Eventually, the remaining passengers will get the message

p.s. you didn't hear this from me lol.

p.p.s. always helps to have a USA 5 dollar note in your pocket because you can produce this onto the dashboard after your american passengers have left, and that to everyone else is unmistakenably a tip.
The second mouse ALWAYS gets the cheese!
         Jump to Top
Grishanty
Bulgaria
#6  Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  2 Sep '09 at 15:07
Hi all
I work as a ski instructor and driver in Pamporovo, Bulgaria!
All the time i make a good money because of the tip's
For example, last season i had a 10ppl party and in the end of the week i had a 600 euro tips in my pocket

So,, Morzexpress is right.. its up to you mate

good luck to all
         Jump to Top
UKSNOWMAN
#7  Re: Chamonix Transfer Driver - Tips! What's the secret?  2 Sep '09 at 23:56
Great advive there morzexpress will try that myself.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens