Career break?! //

< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  Bags    On:  Thu 16th August, 2012 at 17:26
Bags
London
#2  Re: Career break?!  22 Oct '12 at 14:53
In reply to Fubar (Post #20)
So I've only gawnundunnit! Got the chalet job, quit the City job, now just have to wait it out another month and I'll be on the slopes in no time! (Well, by no time obviously I mean after several weeks of cooking for 16 people and cleaning up after them successfully enough to have more than half an hour spare to hit the lifts in between...)

Thanks for all the advice. The weekend warrior approach is appealing, but Geneva doesn't do it for me either, and I actually quite wanted to go from one extreme to the other. (By which I mean from a stable well-paid career to peanuts and loo-cleaning.) Nothing like a bit of hospitality work to bring you back down to earth...

And er, what's happened to the forum...?!
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#3  Re: Career break?!  22 Oct '12 at 16:12
In reply to Bags (Post #2)
Well done, Bags - where you off to?
         Jump to Top
big white lines
Leicester
#4  Re: Career break?!  23 Oct '12 at 09:43
In reply to Bags (Post #2)
Congrats Bags. Have an awesome time, and get some updates on here too.

Like Mickers said, where are you off to?
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#6  Re: Career break?!  23 Oct '12 at 13:12
In reply to techmonkey (Post #5)
Exactly!

Now the next question is - to car or not to car? Parking in Tignes is a ball-ache, but being able to get out of the bubble when you want to is priceless... Thing is, I don't actually own one (cycling in London being a much more cost-effective, if rather unsafe, option). I've been looking at them though and quite like the idea of becoming a vehicle-owner again! Does anyone know if insuring it in France is a problem, or if you can just do it on your existing insurance? Presumably you need to tell them? I've done some quotes based on the car I might buy and they some of them appear to have EU cover included, I wonder whether there are restrictions on how long for though...?

Hmm, haven't actually done any work today yet. It's amazing how time-consuming internet shopping can be!
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Hairyheed
Bedlington, Northumberland
#7  Re: Career break?!  24 Oct '12 at 21:40
In reply to Bags (Post #6)
Bags,

most insurance, companies offer Third Party Cover in Europe as standard. I am taking my car to VT for the season and I am with Direct Line. Just had to cal the them to arrange the dates etc, however I am arranging comprehensive cover for the drive out and back.

However, try ASDA. If i remember, they offer Europe wide Comprehensive cover as standard.

Good Luck and Enjoy

Hairyheed
         Jump to Top
247snowman
Morzine
#8  Re: Career break?!  24 Oct '12 at 22:16
In reply to Bags (Post #6)
I'm thinking of taking car to France, someone recomended LV insurance as for approx £20 you can add on European cover which lasts for 180 days.

I asked the question, If I go to France 1st Dec, come back End of April can I take car back again from start of June to end of August and still be covered. This is the answer.....

"Thank you for contacting us online.

I can confirm that the European cover will cover you for up to 180 days at one time. So if you came back from your trip in April and then went to France again in June you would be allowed another 180 days".
         Jump to Top
AndyN
Basel
#9  Re: Career break?!  25 Oct '12 at 17:52
In reply to 247snowman (Post #8)

Originally posted by 247snowman

I can confirm that the European cover will cover you for up to 180 days at one time. So if you came back from your trip in April and then went to France again in June you would be allowed another 180 days".

You will also be insured even if you don't come back after 180 days.

You will only be insured to the minimum required by law in the country you are in (i.e. 3rd party) but you are legal...

I've used LV for the last 4 years and have spent more time out of the UK than in, they are the best policy for driving abroad that I found, and also one of the cheaper policies.

I've now exported my car, but they were good while it was still registered in the UK.
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort