Car or the TO Rep Bus //

Author
  Topic Started By:  paul.skibum    On:  Wed 28th September, 2005 at 09:52
paul.skibum
Reading
#1  Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 09:52
I'm doing my first season in France this winter. Working as a rep, tour co has the usual coach trip lined up to ship us all to france for training and then on to resorts.

I have a car in the UK, its not worth anything but its reliable and I'd rather keep it than sell it so was thinkign about driving down to France instead of taking coach.

Pluses - have a car in resort for the odd jolly to other places in free time, dont have a coach trip down there to tolerate, can take more stuff with me than statutory large bag and skis (like a stereo, laptop and whatever else takes me).

Negatives - up keep costs and.....a long drive I guess.

Anyone got any views on a) whether the TO's like you taking a car instead of the coach, b) whether having a car in resort is a good idea?
Waiting for the winter.....
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#2  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 09:56
Depends on where you are going.... If there is somewhere you can park it then I would say go for it. Cabin Fever can set in come mid Jan and it can be nice to get out of resort. If somwhere in Tarentaise then is easy to drive round the valley and season pass gives you days in other resorts. Also, just day trips when its a white out can be nice!!!

Would say deffinatly, some tour ops might give you a few quid to pay for the tolls if you are lucky!!

Who and where??
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#3  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 09:57
'Spose an upside to the coach is that you can get involved with the 'team building' but guess you've got 6 months to sort that, never been subjected to the coach thing.
Have however driven out for 2 of my seasons, and can defo. recommend it, get to take all your kit from home, tv, stereo, playstation etc which will save you money 'cos you won't feel you HAVE to go out drinking, for something to do of an evening/ white-out.
         Jump to Top
paul.skibum
Reading
#4  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 10:17
I'm not sure where I will be yet - France definitely with Thomson/Crystal but resort is TBA.

Definitely the reasons for having the car are better than those for not having it. Would be good to see if I could get a co-pilot to assist with directions, bung some fuel money for the trip etc.

Might check insurance cost for car abroad.
Waiting for the winter.....
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 10:21
Deff do it!!!

if in Val / Tignes / 3 Vs / Paradiski / La Rosiere its great as you can get to the other resorts on your lift pass....

chamonix - get to Portes du soleil etc or Megeve etc

No questions about it!!!! Drive isn't too bad either
         Jump to Top
quazza
Val d'Isere
#6  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 10:24
Try Footman James or Liverpool Victoria for your car insurance as they will cover you for a whole year fully comp rather than most companies who only allow you trips of up to 90 days.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#7  Re: Car or the TO Rep Bus  28 Sep '05 at 11:21
if there was any chance my car would survive the drive to the mountains I'd definitely take it
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort