Cananda Chalet jobs for couples //

Author
  Topic Started By:  TheGreatGatsby    On:  Wed 4th January, 2006 at 08:58
TheGreatGatsby
#1  Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  4 Jan '06 at 08:58
Hi guys - I hope you can offer me some advise. My girlfriend and I are hoping to work our first season over in Canada running a chalet and were wondering if anyone had done this before and can offer some useful advise? We are doing courses - shs doing cookery/planning course and I'm doing a ski a board tech course and both of us are planning on learning french. Are there any other courses we should consider doing to ensure a good job? What else do you need to know to run a chalet? I am planning on doing my snowboard instructors course whilst I'm out there aswell.

How much roughly does a job running a chalet pay does anyone know?

If any one can help with any of this that'd be awesome!

thanks

Gats
www.myspace.com/podiumgraphics

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l185/Gatsby_01/job.jpg
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#2  Re: Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  5 Jan '06 at 06:01
OK, so first things first - you will need a Visa to work in Canada and these are HARD to get unless you are a student.

Second - its pretty hard to get a chalet job in USA / Canada as a first timer as there are plenty of tried and tested staff from Europe who they know and are confident can do a good job. THis is not in any way to say you wouldn't do a good job - just that they play on the safe side.

Doing a snowboard course while running a chalet is also probably pretty frowned upon as you will be working till about 10.30 / 11 in the morning and back in at about 5/6 with full day on transfer day etc which doesn't leave much time for it....

Can you both cook??? That is the most important thing there is really as the rest is teachable on training.

Canada - Whistler is almost the only place there are chalets - Skiworld, Total Ski and Crystal / Thomson are the only ones who have chalets and they each have a HUGE european chalet staff base to choose from so you willl have to impress to get there....

Sorry - this has been a v negative reply - really - is worth trying, but just to give you an idea of what you are up against............. If you have a visa sorted or can get one somehow then yhou are really half way there as they are hard to get.

SO - cooking is V important, DONT mention anything about doing a boarding course - they will understand this to be more important than the job and will reject you..... Pay is about 60-70 quid a week really - so you have to rely on tips really!!!

Good luck - any otther qs then i can come back!!!!
         Jump to Top
TheGreatGatsby
#3  Re: Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  5 Jan '06 at 07:44
Thanks for the reply rodent - I kind of had a feeling that would be the case but I just wanted to make sure. I'm more than happy to try and do a working season in Europe first and make my bones as it were so thats all fine. I did think that doing an instructors course would be pushing it I may have to post pone that idea for another season and just do it then.

With regards to cooking we can both cook but would I also need to do the cookery course or will my general experience in the kitchen be enough?

I think in the long run doing a working season in the EU is going to be easier in general. Pay sucks though dunnit so I guess we'll have to work hard on saving to see us through.

Any further help on doing one in europe would be grand - I guess at least then we can deffinately use our french!

thanks again

Gats

Jump to Top
Robbo27
Sauze D'Oulx
#4  Re: Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  5 Jan '06 at 07:47
Just as an aside, Crystal and Thomson won't generally employ people in Canada if they don't have their own visa.
If you don't like the heat stay up a mountain
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  6 Jan '06 at 06:00
Re working in Europe - If you have enthusiasm, can cook and have an ounce of common sense then there is little problem with getting a job!!! Have a look on here and in general on the interweb at all the different companies and find the ones you want to work for and apply to them with CV and good covering letter.

They will usually want a menu plan so if you can dream up a 6 day menu - canapes, starter, main, vegetarian and pudding (with starch and 2 kinds of veg with the main - try to be inventive eg honey glazed carrots rather than just carrots - shows you have put some thought into it so should be good!!!!!!) (inventive - maybe not - but just not the obvious!!!!) Pasta is never allowed as a main - ie bolognaise or lasagna, and in general your proteins are beef, lamb, turkey, chicken, fish and pork - do what you will with them!!! Don't be too fancy - budgets are pretty tight, but MAKE SURE YOU CAN COOK IT OR KNOW HOW as you will almost deff be asked about it in interview!!!!

In general, interviews and applications are in about May onwards so have a look for companies you like the sound of. In general (and this always gets me into trouble!!) smaller companies are better - popular with returners are Ski Olympic, Ski Beat, Snowline/VIP, Skiworld etc...

Hope it goes OK and you find what you want!!! (Oh and unless you are in one of the smaller resorts, there is unfortunatly very little french spoken - you will need to hunt it out!!!
         Jump to Top
TheGreatGatsby
#6  Re: Cananda Chalet jobs for couples  6 Jan '06 at 07:45
Thanks for the tips rodent! I'll be looking into the companies you've listed for sure and getting my act together for the coming season. thanks also for the tip on the french - its good to know we don't have to panic too much about learning the language too much but I guess if we can then it'll be an added bonus!

great tips and like mCdonalds I'm loving it - Keep em comin!

Gats

Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort