Cameras //

< Prev
Author
  Topic Started By:  Vix63    On:  Fri 9th September, 2005 at 18:55
moj
#17  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 12:17

Originally posted by charles

Now this is what you want, the Canon Digital Ixus 50 - compact and takes great quality pics not too pricey either:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86205/art/canon/digital-ixus-50.html?srcid=37&rd=1

Very fond of my little Ixus, quite rugged (threw mine across a road and it still works) and extremely intuitive to use.

Originally posted by toiletduck

Alright, I'd like to say that all eople with 3 letter forum names beginning with M, who've been heli skiing in NZ are twats with the social skills of a dead horse and should probably be banned from the internet in general, as well as sharp objects.
         Jump to Top
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#19  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 12:48
you're not wrong - I feel I would never be able to use the cameras to their full potential...but then, at my standard of photography, I think a disposable is still a waste of money!
Very impressive photos nontheless - perhaps you can come and take some photos of me falling ass over tit, for everyone's amusement!
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#20  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 14:10

Originally posted by

@Biscuit and Crea2k: great photos Cool and just the sort of stuff I can't seem to get now I've gone digital Sad but those cameras you've got cost about a grand don't they?! Dunno if that's really what Vix was after spending for some shots of trees and drunk people's arses..

The Canon eos 20d was a grand but the Fuji Finepix S7000 was only £230 off ebay, those Pics I took were with my old 6900 when the digital revolution came out and the camera was 700 quid then but now you can get its big big brother 3 generations later the S7000 which will give you even better photos as it has twice the MP count of the 6900 that I took those pics with. One here brand new with 3 year warranty for £275
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FUJI-FINEPIX-S7000-DIGITAL-CAMERA-WITH-3-YR-WARRANTY_W0QQitemZ7546811947QQcategoryZ30012QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Either that or the baby brother of my Canon 20d is the 350D
Cheapest I can find with a lens is £485
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Canon-EOS-350D-18-55m-Lens-Kit-ship-Fedex-Black_W0QQitemZ7545872369QQcategoryZ30020QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The big diff between the S7000 and the 20D tho is one is a prosumer
camera and other is a pro/semi pro cam, so depends what you wanna do,if you want a load of lenses and stuff and want to build on your collection and get diff lenses for diff things get the 350d or Biscuits D70 or my 20d if you can afford it.If you just want a decent camera that is point andclick but also has all the extras of the others apart from lenses get the S7000.
For a good site so you can read the reviews and decide yourself checkout
http://www.dpreview.com/
as I used it before I got both mine.
Iain
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#21  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 23:30

Originally posted by crea2k

The Canon eos 20d...Fuji Finepix S7000...old 6900...MP count of the 6900...350D...the 20D...prosumer
camera and other is a pro/semi pro cam...350d or Biscuits D70 or my 20d

Erm, sorry what?

I want that Pentax Optio WP thing. (Good pick Peds!)

Question, O Wise Techy Ones: Obv need to buy overpriced memory card thing too. What about all this battery life/coldness stuff? Do I need to get a supercharged battery power pack thing too? And a viewfinder?

...I don't understand any of this...

Basically, I want that Optio one, I want it to take lots of pictures, I want it to last longer than a few seconds battery-wise, and I want to be able to see the pictures I'm taking... So will it do all this anyway, or do I need to buy anything else besides the overpriced memory card???

To think I was just going to go into a shop and buy a camera. I think I need a PhD first...
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#22  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 23:46
No PHD rerquired... if youve decided on the camera you want then thats great... justt ask em for some high powered rechargable batteries... mind you you are better buting them online... the previous posts were saying that because of the cold you will find that your camera will munch batteries so get rechargables!! Use the viewdinder and not the lcd screen coz it burns your power... enjoy your pics!!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#23  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 00:16

Originally posted by Jonnie

because of the cold you will find that your camera will munch batteries so get rechargables!! Use the viewdinder and not the lcd screen coz it burns your power... enjoy your pics!!!

Hi Jonnie. Thanks for info.

However, more stupid questions to follow... Do you have to buy batteries for the camera too then? The Optio one is tiny - my housemate has it - I thought it was like my minidisc player in that it has a rechargeable battery in it already. Isn't that right? I was just worried that with the cold thing maybe this would run out really quickly...

Also, (and I fear this may be the epitome of silly questions, but for some reason I'm going to ask it anyway...) is the viewfinder thing just the see-through rectangle? So I should be using that instead of the screen...but won't it get snow on it etc? By viewfinder, I was thinking of those attachments you buy like when you take photos while scuba diving etc... ops:
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#24  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 09:00

Originally posted by Bags

Originally posted by Jonnie

because of the cold you will find that your camera will munch batteries so get rechargables!! Use the viewdinder and not the lcd screen coz it burns your power... enjoy your pics!!!

However, more stupid questions to follow... Do you have to buy batteries for the camera too then? The Optio one is tiny - my housemate has it - I thought it was like my minidisc player in that it has a rechargeable battery in it already. Isn't that right? I was just worried that with the cold thing maybe this would run out really quickly...

Also, (and I fear this may be the epitome of silly questions, but for some reason I'm going to ask it anyway...) is the viewfinder thing just the see-through rectangle? So I should be using that instead of the screen...but won't it get snow on it etc? By viewfinder, I was thinking of those attachments you buy like when you take photos while scuba diving etc... ops:

Jonnie, thanks for agreeing with me!

Bags, some cameras come with their own rechargeable batteries, others, particularly the cheaper ones, just come with a battery compartment for ordinary AA batteries. If you buy one which takes ordinary batteries, then buy rechargeable ones for it.

Yes, the viewfinder is the glass rectangle at the top of the camera that you look through, and not the big screen on the back of the camera.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#25  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 09:10

I want that Pentax Optio WP thing. (Good pick Peds!)

Question, O Wise Techy Ones: Obv need to buy overpriced memory card thing too. What about all this battery life/coldness stuff? Do I need to get a supercharged battery power pack thing too? And a viewfinder?

...I don't understand any of this...

Basically, I want that Optio one, I want it to take lots of pictures, I want it to last longer than a few seconds battery-wise, and I want to be able to see the pictures I'm taking... So will it do all this anyway, or do I need to buy anything else besides the overpriced memory card???

To think I was just going to go into a shop and buy a camera. I think I need a PhD first...

OK, if you mean the Pentax Optio WP, it comes with its own rechargeable battery:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Pentax/pentax_optiowp.asp

It takes an SD/MMC memory card, which you will get at a good price here:
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/default.php?cPath=777_4_401_40105&sort=2a&&page=2
or here:
http://www.picstop.co.uk/Secure-Digital-(SD)/Order_1/Page_2

It is probably worth while buying a spare battery as well. In this case, I would STRONGLY recommend buying one from the camera manufacturer - it will cost more, but will last a lot longer, from my experience.

To help keep the batteries charged as long as possible, if you take your camera out on the slopes, carry it in an inside pocket. Body heat will help with battery life.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Bags
London
#26  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 10:40

Originally posted by WTFH

OK, if you mean the Pentax Optio WP....

OMG Foxy you legend. Vvv helpful.

So about these memory card things. Should I get a 1GB one or will 512MB be Ok? And what's the difference between the normal one and the Ultra II? I don't like paying too much for stuff but I hate it when things are slow and rubbish.

Also, where would I get a spare rechargeable battery from and for how much? I think that's def a good idea because my minidisc one packed up completely after a bit. Would really annoy me if that happened to my camera at the top of a mountain.

Not entirely sure where the funds for all this after going to come from...
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#27  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 11:10

So about these memory card things. Should I get a 1GB one or will 512MB be Ok? And what's the difference between the normal one and the Ultra II? I don't like paying too much for stuff but I hate it when things are slow and rubbish.

Also, where would I get a spare rechargeable battery from and for how much? I think that's def a good idea because my minidisc one packed up completely after a bit. Would really annoy me if that happened to my camera at the top of a mountain.

Not entirely sure where the funds for all this after going to come from...

http://www.easygadget.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=971
£177.45
Battery £22.95

Other shops:
Jessops £229.99
Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007VHO5Q/shop4-21/202-0673992-3834265
£187.56 inc free delivery

In terms of memory, get the biggest you can afford. Ultra II is faster, but unless you are wanting to do lots of action shots, it may be more money than it's worth.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#28  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 20:11
I would get two 512s over 1 gb card as if one goes wrong while your out there or you loose it, get snow on it, stand on it pissed ect you still have another where as if your one 1gb card dies your either screwed or gonna be poor buying them out there cos there not cheap in the hills.
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#29  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 20:14
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Pentax-Optio-WP-Waterproof-Digital-Camera-512MB-SD_W0QQitemZ7547787037QQcategoryZ30019QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#30  Re: Cameras  19 Sep '05 at 20:27
Creak, just remember - there's £38 postage and £10 insurance to go on top of that!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
BiscuitFuelled
Scotland
#31  Re: Cameras  22 Sep '05 at 02:44
Definately 2 x 512mb over 1 x 1gb, especially in the environment of a snowy mountainside. If one card goes south, you still have the other one to act as backup, and you're not going to lose ALL your images.

I would still recommend some method of external storage while you're out there though, keeping all my photos on memory cards would have been too much of a worry while I was faffing around in Meribel! I used an IRiver H340 as a backup device while I was out there, did the job nicely, as well as being my MP3 player for the season...
Bar Back, Le Rond Point, Meribel 2004/2005
Six homme jusqu'à la mort
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason