Cameras //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Vix63    On:  Fri 9th September, 2005 at 18:55
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#1  Cameras  9 Sep '05 at 18:55
Sorry, its yet another 'which is best' thing, which is kind of impossible to answer as everyone has different preferences but, I'll ask in the hope that some of you will have some little gems hidden up your sleeve. Tired of my 'normal' camera (which is good but I am a w*&k photographer so end up forking out loads for a set of crummy pics to be developed), I have decided to venture into the digital world, spurred on by the fact i'll have lots of nice scenery and drunken people to photograph in val D. Lots out there-which is best? or, what sort of things should i look for? Am rather a technophobe, and dont like reading instructions (so i get what i deserve), - which are quite simple?

Cheers mo fo's!!
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#2  Re: Cameras  9 Sep '05 at 19:54
Check out the Pentax Optio WP 5megapixel

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007CZ6F0/102-8498551-2713703?v=glance

I had one untill the parents lost it in Spain.
Waterproof, so it wont mind landing in the snow every now and then - it can even take shots from inside a pint of beer makes everyone look yellow and blurry.

Its at the cheaper end of loads of more expensive cameras, so its cracking value for money. Whack a 256mb memory card in there and you're laughing.
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
Vix63
here, there and everywhere
#3  Re: Cameras  9 Sep '05 at 20:09

Originally posted by peds

Check out the Pentax Optio WP 5megapixel

it can even take shots from inside a pint of beer makes everyone look yellow and blurry.

phew-that was my main consideration!!
www.myspace.com/vix63
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#4  Re: Cameras  9 Sep '05 at 20:18
Oh, obviously... the number of nights that had been ruined before i got that camera simply because we couldnt have a picture with added beer goggles... countless.

Camera I have that the 'rents didnt lose is a Nikon Coolpix 3200, which also gets the job done without fail. Although, unfortunately, this one cant go scuba, which is a pity. No hilarious Kronembourg-filter photos with this one!

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/CP3200/CP32A.HTM
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#5  Re: Cameras  9 Sep '05 at 23:44
I'd agree with Peds the Nikon Coolpix is a damn fine camera, really easy to use and really small so fits in your pocket nicely... great for nights out down the pub. For more serious photos I use a Canon EOS350D, but that costs alot more bucks and not really the thing you wanna be taking out on the beer with you... produces amazing photos though!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
charles
#6  Re: Cameras  10 Sep '05 at 07:27
Now this is what you want, the Canon Digital Ixus 50 - compact and takes great quality pics not too pricey either:

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/86205/art/canon/digital-ixus-50.html?srcid=37&rd=1
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#8  Re: Cameras  11 Sep '05 at 17:18
Both Canon and Fuji make great cameras,I have both and tried other brands but most cant compete in quality.
         Jump to Top
fraggle_rock
London
#9  Re: Cameras  11 Sep '05 at 19:15
I wonder if any of you take a d/SLR onto the slopes? How do you protect it in case you fall?
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#10  Re: Cameras  11 Sep '05 at 20:25
I do, use a Lowe Pro protecive case made by Lowe Alpine... As luck would have it I havent fallen over to test it out!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#11  Re: Cameras  12 Sep '05 at 11:12
the sony ones are all really good, decent lenses, easy to use etc.

amazon usually have some at a real reduced price.

could also go to jessops or summat and ask someone to recommend a camera for what you want it to do (then buy it cheaper off t'internet obviously )
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#12  Re: Cameras  16 Sep '05 at 00:29
Iv got a Lowpro bag they rule , I got my cam on ebay from a bloke importing em from usa to leciester, no import tax or anything, proper cheap n got it registered on canon site so got me warranty too :P .
         Jump to Top
BiscuitFuelled
Scotland
#13  Re: Cameras  16 Sep '05 at 01:38
I took my D70 with me to Meribel last season, and took hundreds and hundreds of photos... Fell on it a couple of times with it in my bag, wrapped in a hoody, and it was alright. Battery life is a bit worse because of the cold, but other than that...

Depends what you want to use the camera for I guess, but I do a bit of sports photography back home, so I wanted to try my hand at the snowsport side of things.

Glad I did though, got some great photos of the freestyle comp at the top of Altiport...

Bar Back, Le Rond Point, Meribel 2004/2005
Six homme jusqu'à la mort
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#14  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 00:37
D70 there pretty good, cool pic there by the way,ivgot a eos 20d and a s7000, heres a few pics I took with my old fuji 6900 in Val Thorens ages ago.My advice is buy LOTS of battery packs as in the cold cameras eat em for breakfast.

Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#15  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 00:43
Oh and another thing make sure you get one with some kind of eye piece view finder as if it just has a screen on it you can totally forget taking any photos on it as in the sun and reflection off the snow u just cant see the screen at all. Plus I would say one with an optical viewfinder with info @ the bottom like my eos 20d is better than a digital viewfinder like on my s7000 as the digital one finds it hard coping with the brightness and you really have to cup your eye over it or you get the same problem in not being able to see anything.
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#16  Re: Cameras  18 Sep '05 at 12:14

Originally posted by crea2k

Oh and another thing make sure you get one with some kind of eye piece view finder as if it just has a screen on it you can totally forget taking any photos on it as in the sun and reflection off the snow u just cant see the screen at all. Plus I would say one with an optical viewfinder with info @ the bottom like my eos 20d is better than a digital viewfinder like on my s7000 as the digital one finds it hard coping with the brightness and you really have to cup your eye over it or you get the same problem in not being able to see anything.

...and on a different note: using the screen drains the battery quickly - particularly in the cold, so if you have the option to use an optical veiwfinder, and switch the LCD screen off, then do so!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview