Camcorders for skiing / boarding //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  stub101    On:  Fri 9th September, 2005 at 20:07
stub101
#1  Camcorders for skiing / boarding  9 Sep '05 at 20:07
I know its a tough question but I'm looking to buy a camcorder to take with me next season. I dont really know much about them but wondered if there was any special considerations that needed to be taken into account for the bad light + snowy conditions.

Does anyone have any reccomendations as to camcorders which they currently use?

Cheers in advance
         Jump to Top
bored surfin
#2  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  10 Sep '05 at 09:41
I asked the same vague question over on Snowheads and got 2 pages of advice, Iam now totally confused so I am going to stick with my old bog standard camcorder, the type that you pick up for 200 quid now, I paid about 500 6 years ago
         Jump to Top
techmonkey
France (74)
#3  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  10 Sep '05 at 11:28
Because it's so bright I think you need to pay attention to 'lux levels', but could be completely wrong. You could just get one cheap on eBay though and see what happens. I found a Sharp ViewCam was pretty good as you could easily ski around while filming thanks to the big viewfinder screen.
Compare ski season jobs for free - the pay, hours, accommodation and more on Skiwu.org.
         Jump to Top
stub101
#4  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  10 Sep '05 at 11:32
Is the screen easy to see when skiing around, because I know the screen on my digital camera is very difficult to see in the bright snowy conditions.
         Jump to Top
techmonkey
France (74)
#5  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  10 Sep '05 at 11:35

Originally posted by stub101

Is the screen easy to see when skiing around, because I know the screen on my digital camera is very difficult to see in the bright snowy conditions.

Yeh it was surprisingly easy to see. I know what you mean about mobiles and laptops etc in sunshine but this one was no bother unless direct sunlight reflected off it. It wasn't digital though, it was an old hi-8 ViewCam you could hold in both hands.. It survived the cold etc, I used to shove it in the back pocket of my back pack and flim what was going on behind me. All this is in the past tense though as I skied over it and it didn't survive that.
Compare ski season jobs for free - the pay, hours, accommodation and more on Skiwu.org.
         Jump to Top
bonzai
Squamish, Whistler & Vancouver
#6  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  10 Sep '05 at 16:13
Make sure you get a decent battery and quite handy to have a spare one too ... the cold tends to half the batter life on average so you're constantly recharging them if using it most days.
If you ever want to hook up a helmet cam then make sure the video camera is capable of recoding an analogue video input (not DV in, not S-Video in) - it's a RCA phono jack input you'll be looking for on the video camera.
Also think about how you plan to carry it on the slopes ... I have a Sony mini MV digicam which came with a padded pouch ... I tend to shove this either in a big pocket (it does fit although I end up looking mildly pregnant) or in a backpack with a fleece around it for added protection.
Finally, consider the practicality of working the controls with cold fingers or gloves on. Touch screen controls look great but can be a nuisance when it is cold and you're hand is shaking (or perhaps that's just the booze).
Time for my medication please nurse
         Jump to Top
crea2k
lincoln
#7  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  11 Sep '05 at 17:14
Iv got a Sony mini dvd one and its pretty sweet for skiing, really small so you can put it in your pocket plus you dont have the hastle of pissing around with crappy oldskool tapes,as its already on dvd so you just drop it in the player or you can play it off the cam screen or off the cam onto the tv, plus a couple of mini dvds in your pocket / suitcase is a lot smaller n tapes.
         Jump to Top
paulriggers
Fareham
#8  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  12 Sep '05 at 10:49
i've got the sony mini dvd one too, it's quite cool.

crea2k: have you found any good software that will work with the dvd format for editing?
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#9  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  12 Sep '05 at 15:36
have got myself a sony hc22 minidv camcorder, a wide angle conversion lens and a padded carry bag for the slopes

and

a new ASUS widescreen laptop with Adobe Premier to edit the videos

and

Reason 2.5, soundforge & a midi keyboard to write music for the movies

think I'm set
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#10  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  12 Sep '05 at 15:38

Originally posted by paulriggers

i've got the sony mini dvd one too, it's quite cool.

crea2k: have you found any good software that will work with the dvd format for editing?

I think any decent software should be able to edit dvd footage as all you're going to do is transfer it onto the cpu, edit it then transfer it onto a dvd, same as with dv tapes, it's just recorded onto a different format initially.

might be totally wrong tho.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
paulriggers
Fareham
#11  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  13 Sep '05 at 11:11
just invested in a new 12" apple power book yesterday, so hopefully that should cope with a bit of video editing.
         Jump to Top
sethboy
Ecosse
#12  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  13 Sep '05 at 12:27
my jvc dx107 has been awesome, especially the fact it fits in most pockets and isnt much bigger than an i-pod but i reckon samsungs new offering the hard drive cam with the little helmet cam included for 549quid is a good bet
NoThInG Is ImPoSsIbLe YoU aRe OnLy LiMiTeD bY fEaR aNd EvEn ThAt CaN bE oVeRcOmE...
         Jump to Top
stub101
#13  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  13 Sep '05 at 12:47
theres some really good sony ones on ebay at the moment goig quite chap - but i do like the look of the jvc ones + especially the price they are.

Ideally could do with road-testing a few
         Jump to Top
paulriggers
Fareham
#14  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  27 Sep '05 at 17:10
decided to sell my dvd cam, so if your still looking check out the bargain thread. it's on there.
         Jump to Top
Ian
South America then New Zealand !
#15  Re: Camcorders for skiing / boarding  27 Sep '05 at 17:35
anyone know anything about DV camera's, got this one ( http://www.2fidelity.com/products-pkdv59.htm ) in the US for $90 a couple of weeks ago and seems good so far, has video, camera, microfone and mp3 player and so i was sceptical when buying it but is perfect. just wondering will this type of camera react bad in the cold ?
- www.mypinkvest.com - PINK VEST :: The travellers northern star[url=http://www.skibum.tk][/url]
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- For Sale: Dakine High Roller 180cm Snowboard Bag
- Kitchens For Sale
- Ronaldo is not willing to attend the Golden Globe
- the united states department of justice broken coa
- Pinstripe Clothing Fashion
- For a long time, people are inh
- Choose Best Polo Tee Shirt For You - Raise Your Sm
- Es gibt drei Proben gemessen Fa
- Top 10 Christmas Presents For Xbox Live Owners