Buying equipment off ebay in the US //

Author
  Topic Started By:  jonnyspoon    On:  Wed 21st September, 2005 at 16:28
jonnyspoon
UK
#1  Buying equipment off ebay in the US  21 Sep '05 at 16:28
Anyone ever bought any boards/skis off ebay in the US? How does the price compare? Any bad experiences? Do you have to pay import taxes? Is there anyway around it? Do you have any advice for someone on a budet? Is it too late to get last season stock?

thanks in advnce

jonny
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#2  Re: Buying equipment off ebay in the US  21 Sep '05 at 22:33
Pricewise, the US is quite a bit cheaper. The pitfalls are shipping (typically around $100) and that you play roulette with VAT. The other option you have is finding someone in the US who travels to the UK regularly and can bring your gear across the pond for a small fee without incurring either of those penalties. *cough*
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#3  Re: Buying equipment off ebay in the US  22 Sep '05 at 07:32

Originally posted by Grill

Pricewise, the US is quite a bit cheaper. The pitfalls are shipping (typically around $100) and that you play roulette with VAT. The other option you have is finding someone in the US who travels to the UK regularly and can bring your gear across the pond for a small fee without incurring either of those penalties. *cough*

Or, you do like I do, buy from a shop in the US, then fly out, pick the skis up, ski on them for a week or more, then bring them back. My last pair of skis were £599 over here, I paid $625.
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#4  Re: Buying equipment off ebay in the US  22 Sep '05 at 10:19
if you're thinking of buying something and having it shipped over i wouldn't bother cos of shipping and tax costs. also it's quite hard to take it back to the shop if there are any problems.

there are loads of places at the moment with last seasons stock, they'll have about a third off prices.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
ATOMIC bomb
Formerly Clitheroe, now Grindelwald
#5  Re: Buying equipment off ebay in the US  22 Sep '05 at 13:01
I bought a pair of 06 model skis off E-bay Germany towards the end of last season for 500 Euros including postage and insurance. In the shops they were £600.
Altitude Ski & Snowboard School Grindelwald and Wengen
www.altitude-grindelwald.com / www.altitude-wengen.com
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview