Buying a board in Resort //

Author
  Topic Started By:  BIGdave    On:  Sat 24th September, 2005 at 22:49
BIGdave
Verbier
#1  Buying a board in Resort  24 Sep '05 at 22:49
Hi

I'll be in Val D'isere this year and firstly will be hunting for a good deal on a board. Well, I'm currently stuck and don't know whether to wait or get a Prior board shipped in from Whistler.

Now a question for you all... How much would it cost me, in resort, to get a good intermediate board with bindings?

I can get a prior board for around £200 + buy and set of bindings in the UK...

Any advice would be gratefully received? Cheaper to wait or not?
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#2  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:39
You'll be able to get about 10% off your equipment until roughly the end of March. Then everything will go to around 30% off. The best thing to do is buy from the UK or US before going out and just forgetting that discounts are even an option later in the season. The other thing you could do is if that used equipment is high quality stuff you could sport that until the big sales. Only problem is you'd only get to pimp your fly gear for a month.
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
         Jump to Top
seejay
Val - Newcastle - Bucks
#3  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:43
Never buy new gear at the beginning of the season in resort.

[/fact]
[color=#FF0000:e61dce8b75] its all about the [/color:e61dce8b75]: Jib-Vid
2 points up.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#4  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:48
Buying a board in-resort isn't good for getting a good price (average price really - not overpriced either). It is good because those selling the boards are really very good and know a lot (especially in Val D). Also they might service it for free or cheap and if anything major goes wrong then you havent got far to go to where you got it from to complain.
         Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#5  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:49

Originally posted by seejay

[/fact]

why's that?

personally bought mine in the uk before the season cos i know the shop guys and they gave me a bigger discount than i would have got in resort. also there were no k2 darkstars in meribel so i'm glad i got it back here.

the whole sketchy snow, don't use a new board thing is a bit overplayed, you just gotta be sensible and not ride over mud patches etc. mine still looks pretty new after a whole season, no petex or anything, i just hopped over any rocks i saw.
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#6  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:52
would wait until jan time when all christmas and new year billies have gone etc and the shops are MUCH quieter.

Some might let you pay it off over the season (and keep your passport) or like mista says - service for free.

back to the cake thing - free cake to the ski techs never hurt anybody if you have to take your guests there each week!!!!
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#7  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 10:54

Originally posted by sam_c

Originally posted by seejay

[/fact]

why's that?

personally bought mine in the uk before the season cos i know the shop guys and they gave me a bigger discount than i would have got in resort. also there were no k2 darkstars in meribel so i'm glad i got it back here.

the whole sketchy snow, don't use a new board thing is a bit overplayed, you just gotta be sensible and not ride over mud patches etc. mine still looks pretty new after a whole season, no petex or anything, i just hopped over any rocks i saw.

He said don't buy in resort. Buying before you go out from the UK is fine. Example- Last year my Ride No4 cost me 600 euros in resort. I bought the exact same board a few weeks prior in the US for 400usd. Now I have two No4, one cheap and one not so cheap.
"Imagination is a quality given a man to compensate him for what he is not, and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is."
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#8  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 11:00
Buying stuff in the US will be cheaper than in resort. Buying stuff in the UK will be roughly the same price as in resort.
         Jump to Top
Grill
2 Alpes
#9  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 11:06
Yea, it's going to be exchange rate dependant.
Prophet- 600euros or 400quid
T6- 695euros or 490quid

The pound was a lot weaker at the beginning of last season so a little research might be in order.
         Jump to Top
sessions
#10  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 17:23
I'd buy in resort .Precision/Black cats in val d offer 15%-20% before christmass and you have misty fly that will also give you around 10% .Precision/black cats will let you test them before you buy .Also you can pay over the season if you are a bit broke .The discount is less though .

Another plus is if your flying out it's one less thing to take .But make sure you by a board bag well before the end of the season .People tend to buy boards in resort and not think how they are going to get them home .So they tend to sell out at the end of the season.
         Jump to Top
Ian
South America then New Zealand !
#11  Re: Buying a board in Resort  26 Sep '05 at 22:52
as regards board bags keep an eye on the likes of LIDL and HOFFER (ALDI), 3 of us bought board bags there for €7 and they were perfect, ski shop we bought our boards from tryed to buy a load of em from there to sell coz the cheapest they had was €50
- www.mypinkvest.com - PINK VEST :: The travellers northern star[url=http://www.skibum.tk][/url]
         Jump to Top
Horse
Bournemouth
#12  Re: Buying a board in Resort  27 Sep '05 at 08:22
MistyFly in Val D let you try before you buy, and pay through the season. Personally i wouldn't go near Santa Cruz, had 3 boards from them that de-lammed, (my board of choice at the moment is Allian)
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort