Blaggers guide to chalet host! //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  flibdong    On:  Mon 7th November, 2005 at 22:58
flibdong
Leamington Spa / Morzine
#1  Blaggers guide to chalet host!  7 Nov '05 at 22:58
I need one! And quickly

Basically im not so confident with my cooking, looking for a few top tips, recipes, advice and any other advice ANYONE can give me

Thanks in advance

Schki schkool
x
pow pow pow.
         Jump to Top
Sammyq22
Je deteste Surrey
#2  Re: Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  7 Nov '05 at 23:00

Originally posted by flibdong

and any other advice ANYONE can give me

Don't be a fool always wrap your tool.
         Jump to Top
flibdong
Leamington Spa / Morzine
#3  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  7 Nov '05 at 23:03
lol, love it

I noticed that one from the natives website, always a great read!

Was lookin for more tips on the cookin side though my friend, nice speedy reply though, i like this place already!
pow pow pow.
         Jump to Top
fat-russ
Auchtermuchty, Fife
#4  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 07:59
Buy the Natives cook book will give you all you need and a bargin.

Cooking is simple, Don't p1ss yourself and have a good season.
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#5  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 08:13
melt toberone add cream, whisk and put in ramekins with a couple of buiscuits on the side - hey presto mousse.

look at the recipies on here - there are a few good ones.

lamb
pork
beef
fish
chicken
turkey are your 6 proteines

theme nights depending on who you are working for - eg curry night / fajhita night etc

Keep all the starters veggie so as not to have to do 2 starters when you have veggies

have 6 veggie meals sorted - just read up in any cook books (mary berry has some v v v simple veggie ones in her massive book) - take a trip to WHSmiths with a pen and paper!!!!
         Jump to Top
Jessilicious
London
#6  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 08:51
If you get joy of cooking either on new fangled CD or regular tomb like paperback you will never ask out loud another cooking question again. Apart from maybe wondering what a 'cup' is (answer; a far easier way to measure ingredients than the europeans have ever come up with)

I have been led to believe that training course and resort managers also come in handy re recipe ideas/general skills. Panic not and start to exercise your liver and body for the crazy months ahead and start a good working in the kitchen soundtrack. Concentrate on the essentials.
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#7  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 12:12

Originally posted by Jessiilicious

Apart from maybe wondering what a 'cup' is (answer; a far easier way to measure ingredients than the europeans have ever come up with)

bah, ruddy americans with their cups and broilers and confectioners sugar! cilantro? honestly. all quibbles between metric and imperial can be cast aside untill the cups and spoons system has been destroyed.

on the tips side of things, dont throw anything away. get all your veg prep done early on in the week, and save all the trimmings and peelings, then make a nice big vegetable stock. using a home-made stock is what changes a good soup into an effing marvelous soup.
just fry it all up in a big pan to give them some colour with a couple of onions and cloves of garlic both with their skins on, then cover with water, a bay leaf and a handful of whole peppercorns. simmer for an hour and pass through a super-fine sieve.
if you are lucky enough to get your meat still on the bone (we never did), then save the bones and stock them as well. same goes for any offcuts of meat (again, just pan-fry them to give them colour).

for time saving, when you make a soup or a sauce, make double or triple quantities and freeze the excess, so you can re-gen it for another occasion.
for sauces (smooth sauces, not chunky ones like a tomato pasta sauce), just before serving, throw a large knob of butter into the pan and whisk it through. this is called "montee au buerre" and gives the sauce a wonderfully velvetty texture, enrichening it beyond comprehension.

always keep a little bowl of finely shredded green in the fridge - parsely or chives for their neutral, all-round flavour - to dust over the plates before service. it might be a bit passe, but it still looks good on the plate.

when you make a vegetarian dish, make a stack of them and freeze them. then the next time you have a vegetarian, you have a meal already set out for them.

if you cook a lot of your sauces from a roux base (your basic butter+flour combo), make up a big batch of it and freeze it in 100gram blocks. 100grams of roux (thats 50gram butter, 50gram flour) will make approximately 400-500ml of sauce, depending on how thick you want it. then when you need a sauce, just throw a frozen roux cube into the pan and off you go.

a really, really obvious one here, but SO easy to miss... ALWAYS warm your plates - a cold plate will chill the food down instantly when you serve. best way to warm plates is to get them in a stack and run them under a tap, so a bit of water goes between the plates, then hold them sideways to drain any excess water. put the stack in the microwave on full, and the drops of water left will boil and evaporate, steaming the plates to the perfect temperature.

once some things are cooked, they will happily sit in their serving dishes covered by a layer of cling film or punctured foil (depending on what it is - clingfilm for steamed/boiled/wet foods, foil for fried/roasted) at the bottom of the over for a little while. make sure the serving dishes are prewarmed, though.

i'll remember some more later, i'm sure, hope these ones help
"Thrill-seeking? Sensation-seeking? What flavour is red? What colour is spice?"
         Jump to Top
Jessilicious
London
#8  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 15:54
that is some seriously hot advice peds muchos respect.
Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable.
         Jump to Top
flibdong
Leamington Spa / Morzine
#9  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 17:30

Originally posted by Jessiilicious

that is some seriously hot advice peds muchos respect.

Agreed

Thank ya very much, seriously appreciate that!

Btw, peds where bouts in warwickshire are you, im in leamington spa.
pow pow pow.
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#10  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 17:48
eyyy, leam spa!!

im up in Kenilworth, im cheffing for the national agricultural centre in stoneleigh at the moment.

where are you headed this season, who with?

just thought of another tip - if your chalet wine is free and unlimited, reduce down a couple of litres of the red in a big pan with some fried-off celery, onions, carrots and leeks (or all the trimmings of them), garlic cloves and bouquet garni to make a kick-ass sauce. sieve it to remove the chunky bits and thicken to the right consistency. this is a great way of doing a quick and easy coq au vin.
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#11  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 17:54
Peders,

Great tips so far but I must disagree with you about the Coq au Vin[/i:31da8205c1], there is NO way of doing a quick [i:31da8205c1]Coq au Vin,[/i:31da8205c1] it must be done very slowly and preferably the day before and reheated.

The only quick thing I know about [i:31da8205c1]Coq au something[/i:31da8205c1] is [i:31da8205c1]Coq au Nanny.

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
peds
Chamonix
#12  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 18:01
got a recipe for that one boggars?

now dont get me wrong, a properly made coq au vin is absolutely tip-top, but don't knock the quick and easy one before you've tried it. carve the tasty bits off your bird leaving the carcass and brown it in the pan, then boil it down with the aforementioned vegetables to make the dark, rich red wine gravy... its a taste sensation, i tell thee. and you can still get those lovely tender chicken pieces by cooking them slowly in a shedload of olive oil in the oven (like, a few inches up their sides). confit chicken and red wine reduction, its all the rage in eateries at the mo ;)

that being said, there are few things more agreeable than a coq au vin proper for your transfer day dinner.
         Jump to Top
Jessilicious
London
#13  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 18:26
remember beef stew, the transfer day staple can be disguised with varying condiments thus;

beef bourginon (sp boggers?)
goulash
+ whizzed in blender = muligatawny
if pushed some sour cream and taglietelle might make it pass for stroganoff.
         Jump to Top
Jonnie
#14  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  8 Nov '05 at 23:05
Peds....your food sounds great.... I hope I have chalet staff cooking for me as well as yours sounds!! God damn it Im hungry now!!!

Jonnie
         Jump to Top
stanley the skier
bristol
#15  Re: Blaggers guide to chalet host!  10 Nov '05 at 02:05
ok hers 1.
melt 250gs of dark choc, unsalted butter over a pot of water
meanwhile whisk 5 eggs and 5 egg yokes and 250gs of caster suger together til pale. then combine together.
sift and fold in 250gs of plain flower.(carefully)
then greese 10 ramicans and sift over some choco powder(or flower)
put the mix into the ramicins and cook fot 8 mins so the outside id like sponge and the inside is like melted choc. turn them out
seriously it is the best. u cant fail.
it does take like 40 mins but its worth it.
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet