BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  FlashCastro    On:  Wed 25th January, 2006 at 13:10
FlashCastro
#1  BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  25 Jan '06 at 13:10
Hi,

Does anyone know if I can teach in Canada with a BASI snowboard instructor licence?

Cheers,
FC.
         Jump to Top
heinzbeanz
manchester/la plagne/manchester again/newcastle upon toon
#2  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  25 Jan '06 at 13:42
yes you could, but you would need to get a work visa as the canadien embassy doesnt give sponsored visas to snowboards apparently.
go to the BUNAC student visa sight, everything you need to know is on there.

Jump to Top
FlashCastro
#3  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  25 Jan '06 at 13:47
I'm in the process of applying for a visa just now.

Any advice on where to apply to for jobs. What resorts would be good to work in?
         Jump to Top
heinzbeanz
#4  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 08:56
each resort website has an employment link, just apply through the website around August time cos thats when the resort directors go back to make preparations for the coming season. Any resort would be good in Canada. The RCR (resorts of the Canadien rockies) have a number of top glass resorts under there proverbial umberella, which are very big resorts such as lake louise, Fernie and nakiska. There are other smaller privately owned resort but they are a bit hill billyish. Im hoping to go to Banff which is just awesome. 'Awesome' how canadien is that. [/b]
         Jump to Top
I love my AK Rockets
South East London - in a house that's collapsing
#5  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 09:03
sounds like you've got the use of the word Awesome in, next challenge it to just slip "eh?" into a sentence without it even seeming like it's there, eh?

Also give up saying torronto, go straight to "tranna"

Then you should be fine! (there's a very entertaining book called "how to be a canadian even if you already are one" which discusses many of these things in detail; good eh?)
         Jump to Top
hmmm..maybe!!
sheffield
#6  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 09:22

Originally posted by I love my AK Rockets

sounds like you've got the use of the word Awesome in, next challenge it to just slip "eh?" into a sentence without it even seeming like it's there, eh?

Also give up saying torronto, go straight to "tranna"

Then you should be fine! (there's a very entertaining book called "how to be a canadian even if you already are one" which discusses many of these things in detail; good eh?)

yore bored arnt you!!
www.myspace.com/randomowls
         Jump to Top
I love my AK Rockets
#7  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 10:01
very much so; I should be in the lab trying to do my third year project; but I can't quite be arsed!
         Jump to Top
heinzbeanz
#9  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 12:05
do it lifes to short
         Jump to Top
I love my AK Rockets
#10  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 13:15
It was blinding. There's really nothing more to say than that!

OK there is, I did it with YES ski, who seem to have vanished off the interweb thingey, or I can't remember their URL, which is a possibility. I knew a few people who did the Mike Dempsey course, and from what I could understand it was much the same; Live in a big condo with a bunch of like minded people, have instruction Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from some really top instructors (Whistler Demo team coach, and member of women's canadian demo team among them) and usually ski atleast sunday as well, but don't be surprised if you can't physically ski more than 5 days a week; spending four of them in classes from 9 - 3 (with and hour for lunch if I remember correctly) is bastard hard work!

It took my skiing to pieces and put it back in a much more effective and attractive way, I'd thought I was pretty good when I went out there, but skiing with a chap called Bart who told me that "Watching you ski makes me want to kill a thousand puppies" and "you make my eyes bleed" and the general class of a lot of the people in Whistler really gave me other impressions about my skiing, but when I came home I was skiing better than I thought was possible, skiing things that I couldn't have imagined before. I don't really know anything about the other operators that did it; I was torn between Dempsy and YES, but went with YES because their webiste played the mission impossible music, damn I'm sad.

Qualifications; well don't necessarily expect to get the level 2 in one season, I knew a number of people who were impressed that I made it (I did have to re-sit teaching after I missed a week's practice before as a result of seperating three ribs from my spine and shafting my neck, but I did a good job of it second time round, having spent some time teaching) and about 50% of my class failed (including some from Dempsy, some from YES and some just random punters). But, especially in big resorts (e.g. Whistler) quite a few level one jobs come up at busy times (e.g. president's week) and then you're in, and provided you're OK at it, I got plenty of work.

Working; I had 5-12 year old kids following me around 5 days a week. Sometimes it was brilliant, you can just mess around being really immature, and they love you for it. Other days it was rubbish; it was raining, children were crying, or worst of all I was teaching snowploughs on bluebird powder days. But on days off you've got a pass, cheap accomadation, and working with people who also want to ski there's usually sufficient buddies around to find a group of a similar level, and in my experience you just end up pushing each other harder and faster.

Living: Whistler was great for it, it had the good things about being in a town, like a decent sized supermarket, and other stuff to do, but from Staff housing at base 2 (big blocks of flats) you can ski to work (personal record; bed to morning meeting- 13 minutes) it's not a cheap place to live; but you're in a ski resort, none of them are cheap to live. But you get to know people and suddenly there's a wealth of discounts available ($3 drinks, don't mind if I do) and the pay's not too bad ($10.75 when I was there). My brother spent a season in Fernie and said it was feeling a bit claustraphobic towards the end, and from what I skied in Lake Lousie and sunshine I'd rather be in whistler (but I was in LL and S for a RUBBISH season 00-01)

Career life ballence; well I did it as a gap year thing, so it's not a problem I've faced yet, not having a career and all. My current plan? Well I think I can get another 2 visas out of BUNAC (one next year because it's kind of still a student if I graduate this year, and then another before I'm 35) and I've got the application from sat in my lounge, so I'm planning on going back atleast once more. If for no other reason that my skiing's slipping, I'm not skiing with people of that standard anymore (not wanting to sound c0cky) and I now can't ski things I used to be able to. I also have no idea what I want to do, so would like to think of the time ahead as an opportunity to develop career ideas. I also want to see if I can get a level 3, and level 1 telemark.

In short; yes it is a lot of money, but what will it do for you? It'll be a great laugh, it'll be great for your skiing, it'll give you something to impress people with when it just crops up in conversation (but don't expect to get laid through it, I didn't and don't) it'll look good on your CV (provided it's worded right; pursued interest in sport to high level, why it was a challenge etc.) and maybe it'll make you think differently about what you want to do (for better or worse, when I left I wanted a career in Microbiological research, now I hate the idea of being in a lab, which is why I'm on here now!).

Only you can decide. Make a list; things you've got to lose, things you can gain. And I honestly believe that having that much instruction is the way to skiing well, not just skiing about, because you'll get better following friends who are better than you, but you're at risk of picking up some weird old habits that are going to be a nightmare to break, and will hinder you later.

I say do it.
         Jump to Top
I love my AK Rockets
#12  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  26 Jan '06 at 14:37
My course started on the 29th of November 2001 (there's a date I'm not likely to forget!) and it was 6 weeks, but I didn't get a job until president's week (sometime in Feb).

Skiing was still good well into the middle of April, I had a free day with Extremely Canadian mid-late April which was probably the best day of the season for me; fresh tracks in Harmony bowl and some blinding lines that had barely been touched down the VD chutes, and we were amongst the first down Exitation... oooh thinking about it makes me feel all tingly.

It was also my first day on my beloved AK Rockets.
         Jump to Top
FlashCastro
#13  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  27 Jan '06 at 12:23
A K rockets guy, ace report, nice one.

Big dog, it looks like you are facing much the same kind of questions that I am. Are you qualified at the moment?
         Jump to Top
FlashCastro
#15  Re: BASI SNowboard Intructor, possible in Canaada?  28 Jan '06 at 14:49
Yo Dog,

Heading to Canada next season, thinking about Fernie or Whistler maybe. Already BASI qualified but thinking about going for a bar job or something else that will let me get plenty of boarding in.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort