Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase //

Author
  Topic Started By:  aussieDan    On:  Sun 25th September, 2005 at 22:55
aussieDan
#1  Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  25 Sep '05 at 22:55
Good morning,

I was hoping someone might be able to hep me out with some skiing advice.

I will be just near Newcastle in the UK for Christmas and NY. I would like to take my famly over for a weeks skiing starting 7th or 8th. My wife and I are poor skiers so we are not looking for A1 resorts.

My big stress is the 2 year old twins I will have with me. I am looking for a resort that is close to an airport so the transfers are short. I have looked at some and the transer times are 3 hours, is this normal?

I really hope ther eis somewhere I can get to from Newcastle with a short transit, that doesn't cost a lot. Unfortunately the Aussie$ doesn't translate well over there.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.
         Jump to Top
the_chocoholic
La Clusaz
#2  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  25 Sep '05 at 23:02
Erm, it's almost morning here, but not quite )

So, which country do you want to go skiing in?

If you're not great skiers, I think Andorra is a English-speaking- and family-friendly place. Not sure how much the transfer would cost.

Compared to Aussie snow and weather conditions, you'll have a ball no matter where you go! Oh, unless you go to Scotland. Don't do that unless you want conditions just like home
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#3  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  25 Sep '05 at 23:07
Techers you seem to have started an avatar craze!

AussieDan - Andorra is also very cheap, not sure about the English-speakingness though. Definitely sounds like it is worth some research though.
         Jump to Top
the_chocoholic
La Clusaz
#4  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  25 Sep '05 at 23:17
Sorry, I should clarify.

Andorra is full of British people.

Of course, this is based purely on every British person I've ever met who has gone skiing/boarding telling me "Oh, I went to Andorra once". It's also a tax haven apparently, so stuff is pretty cheap over there compared to the extortion that happens when you convert Aussie dollars (I feel your pain).
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#6  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  25 Sep '05 at 23:27
good bunny :thumbsup:
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#8  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  26 Sep '05 at 08:03
There are a lot of English speaking instructors in (non-EC) Andorra, including Aussies & Kiwis. It is approximately 2-3 hours transfer from Barcelona or Toulouse, but the French authorities cut it off last season.

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2005/02/20ando.htm

http://www.natives.co.uk/news/2005/02/28ando.htm

For short transfers, try Murren or Wengen from Bern airport - only about an hour by road followed by half an hour by train. Both are car free resorts, which is handy for kids! I visited Wengen through Inghams (a travel company), flying to Bern from Manchester.
Try looking on the link for airports flown to from Newcastle. Also try Teeside, Leeds/Bradford, Doncaster/Sheffield, Manchester and Liverpool!

http://www.whichbudget.com
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#9  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  26 Sep '05 at 08:43
Andorra is always at least a 3 hour transfer - from either Barcelona or more likey, Tolouse.

Morzine or Les Gets would be good for beginners, and only around an hour / 1 1/2 hours from GVA.

Re the Newcastle thing - only a few operators fly from Newcastle - Crystal / Thomson/Inghams / First Choice etc, other than that, think Jet2 might fly from up there and maybe easyjet.

Self catered would be cheapest option - there are some nice self catered apartments in Les Gets - new ones that have a pool........
         Jump to Top
sambo
chrischurch
#10  Re: Aussie in the North of England - Help with resort plase  26 Sep '05 at 17:49
If youre willing to sort everything out yourself, i'd say les gets. stupidly cheap flights from newcastle, very family friendly resort, 1 hour transfer time.
life in the real world doesn't work.
back to the snow.
         Jump to Top
aussieDan
#11  Re: cheers  26 Sep '05 at 23:08
Thanks so much for all your help, it looks like Les Gets gets the green light. I'll hit the net tonight to see what happening up there....awesome!
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens