Author
  Topic Started By:  techmonkey    On:  Tue 20th September, 2005 at 10:18
WTFH
Surrey
#19  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 09:10

Originally posted by moj

a few comments on this story (not my own):

Originally posted by

2. WTF is the FIRE department doing with a volt/amp meter?
[/quote:fe11c5ec29][/quote:fe11c5ec29]

Moj, I take it these quotes of yours were written by primary school kids?

Most fire departments carry volt/ammeters - if they have to attend fires with electrical cables, a voltmeter is a good way of finding out if the cable is still live. Now, anyone want to take a guess what voltage is running through the cables on the pylons you see around you?
240V? Nope.
1000V? Nope.
10,000V? Rarely.
33,000V? Sometimes.
100,000V? Sometimes.
400,000V? Sometimes.
So, a 1000V Fluke meter isn't going to be much help.

Originally posted by

3. One or two squirts of water from a spray bottle would have completely discharged the jacket -- assuming somehow the natural humidity didn't!
[/quote:fe11c5ec29]

Spraying water discharges electricity?
NO!
But, if there is a steady stream, and the person spraying the water is earthed, while the person being sprayed is not, then the person being sprayed will receive a shock, and will discharge the jacket.
Also, if the steady stream flows off the jacket - i.e. not dripping, then the jacket would discharge to earth, but just spraying a couple of squirts of water will NOT discharge electricity.

[quote:fe11c5ec29]
4. and of course the jacket could never have built up such powerful charges as to melt and burn materials...

Why couldn't it? Have jackets got a built in fuse that blows when they get close to creating a spark?

[quote:fe11c5ec29]40,000 volts across a 250 pF capacitor would have potential energy of 1/2 CV^2 = 0.2 Joules. If you think that 0.2 Joules is enough energy to melt macroscopic amounts of plastic or burn carpet

So, maybe he should carry a 250pF capacitor!
10,000V is enough to create a spark which will ignite petrol in a car engine. If you put a thin piece of paper in the gap, you'll also see that it is enough to burn a hole in the paper.

[quote:fe11c5ec29]it's begging a lot of questions. 1) How could the jacket hold its charge after being handled? 2) How could he re-build up such a charge after discharging into the carpet? 3) How could he not notice the massive jolts he'd get touching metal furnishings or even his computer?

Well, statis electricity would probably have built up just by him walking - the friction between the materials would cause the build up.
And where in the report does it say he touched any metal furnishings "or even his computer"

Wherever you are getting these quotes from, I would guess they are people even Reuters wouldn't imploy!
(have any of them commented on the reports from the local paper where it happened, or are they choosing to ignore that?)
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#21  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 11:00

Originally posted by techmonkey

Oh gawd, fine, I'll stick to sex bestiality in future.

That's right, stick with what you know!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#23  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 11:58

Originally posted by WTFH

You getting on famously with Pam and the five friends then, Foxy? ;)

It's like she's been part of me all my life...
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
Bags
London
#24  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:07

Now look here see...

I actually get where this joke comes from, but I have no idea why it's supposed to make sense?? Weren't Pam and her 5 friends supposed to be sleeping with Mista? Is this some kind of warped suggestion that Foxy wants to sleep with Mista or just that he has a penchant for threesomes? Actually the latter would be something of a compliment - it implies Foxy has a load of girls on standby i.e. Pam and her aforementioned friends, for group sex action...
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
God's own county/Tignes/South America/North America/Australasia/Asia/Africa
#25  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:11

Originally posted by Bags

Now look here see...

I actually get where this joke comes from, but I have no idea why it's supposed to make sense?? Weren't Pam and her 5 friends supposed to be sleeping with Mista? Is this some kind of warped suggestion that Foxy wants to sleep with Mista or just that he has a penchant for threesomes? Actually the latter would be something of a compliment - it implies Foxy has a load of girls on standby i.e. Pam and her aforementioned friends, for group sex action...

Bags,
I hope you are being deliberately dense.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#26  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:14

Originally posted by Kenzie

Bags,

Er, yeah. Obviously. Of course I was...

"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
WTFH
Surrey
#27  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:24

Originally posted by Kenzie

Bags,

Er, yeah. Obviously. Of course I was...

We knew it!
I post, therefore I am

Jump to Top
sam_c
North London
#28  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:34
Pam?

Don't you mean Mrs Palm & her 5 daughters?
04/05 & 05/06 - Meribel, D!cks Tea Bar, DJ
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#30  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:53
OMG!

I am a total fool!!!! (Just googled it BTW)

Weirdest thing is, my step-bro has 'Madame Palm and her five lovely daughters' as his MSN nick name at the mo. He just changed it the other day. Now that is a) a massive coincidence and b) far more information about him than I wanted to know. I have HONESTLY never heard that before...

OMG can't believe I never got the sleeping-with-Mista thing in the first place. Thought it was just random balls...

Oh dear, my secret's out, I wasnt being deliberately dense at all... I actually didn't know something. (This is a new, weird, and not altogether pleasant feeling for me.)
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#31  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 12:56

Originally posted by sam_c

Pam?

Don't you mean Mrs Palm & her 5 daughters?[/quote:2c6561eaa5]

Given the similarity of that to my own surname, no, I most certainly don't.

Good one Techers...

[quote:2c6561eaa5="techmonkey"]Bags, you daft brummie, shall someone draw you a picture?

;)

Stop it with the brummie thing. It grates. And ewwww I don't want a picture of that!

And don't think posting a silly winky face after you say mean things will make it alright, you common scouser you... :P
         Jump to Top
Kenzie
#33  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 13:04

OMG!

I am a total fool!!!! (Just googled it BTW)

Weirdest thing is, my step-bro has 'Madame Palm and her five lovely daughters' as his MSN nick name at the mo. He just changed it the other day. Now that is a) a massive coincidence and b) far more information about him than I wanted to know. I have HONESTLY never heard that before...

OMG can't believe I never got the sleeping-with-Mista thing in the first place. Thought it was just random balls...

Oh dear, my secret's out, I wasnt being deliberately dense at all... I actually didn't know something. (This is a new, weird, and not altogether pleasant feeling for me.)

Jump to Top
Kenzie
#34  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 13:06

And don't think posting a silly winky face after you say mean things will make it alright, you common scouser you... :P

theydodothatthoughdon'ttheythough?! eeh?! eeh?!

Anyway I'm technically in Merseyide and Lancs, depending who you believe. So there.

A Man Utd supporting Scouser, then?
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#36  Re: Aussie fashion a fire risk  21 Sep '05 at 18:40
Bags, you spacker!
         Jump to Top

< Prev
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort