APC level 1 //

Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  Super G    On:  Thu 15th September, 2005 at 07:17
Super G
Cumbria
#1  APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 07:17
Has anyone done the APC level one??
Want to do it this season but don't really know much about it. Any info would be great, not really a lot of info on snowsport scotland site. Course content, what people do for accomodation and how easy/difficult it is to pass??
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#2  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 08:32
Have done the first APC course but can't remember if the rating goes 2 then 1 like the BASI system or 1 then 2 like normal people. If it is the more advanced course you want to know about I can't really help but if you want to know about the first one you do then I can try to help!
Genius is an infinite ability to take pain
         Jump to Top
Molly83
scotland
#3  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 08:52
when i was away APC folk stayed in the same hotel as BASI folk in Tignes, can't mind the name of it though, and more than half the folk failed
         Jump to Top
Molly83
scotland
#4  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 08:55
if you've raced then you won't have much bother, was generally the people who were decent skiers but hadn't raced before, who failed
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#5  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 09:02
Like any assessed cours the pass rate varies massively from group to group - lots of people turn up having scraped through a BASI 3 and then are suprised when they fail. I think it is a pretty big step up from BASI 3. I have seen plenty of people pass grade 3 but then be well below the standard for the APC. Rumour has it that the level needed to pass was raised last year too (according to a BASI trainer who sat in on a meeting where they looked through the videos of previous passees and decided it needed to be higher).

On the other hand it is a great course - I learned loads about my skiing and loads of drills and techniques I had not heard or thought of. If you have the money and can afford it have a go - even if you fail you will definitely learn something.

A couple of thoughts though:

The level is pretty high - a lot of people fail on not being able to carve properly - basically because a huge number of people out there think they can carve when they really aren't!

It is well worth getting a bit of race experience in first and perhaps some training. You can pass without it - I did just- but it would have been far less stressful and a lot easier if I had spent a bit more time in the gates first.

If you do some race training try to get some experience on setting courses too - you don't get much chance to practice on the course and they will fail you if your setting is crap.
         Jump to Top
Molly83
scotland
#6  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 09:07
and make sure you're reasonably fit or you'll be f ucked!!
         Jump to Top
waitingforwinter
#7  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 09:20
And don't turn up on a pair of twin tips!

Best to take some race skis. You have to ski slalom and GS so I would advise a pair of slalom skis - it is easier to do long turns on a pair of slalom skis than short turns on a pair of GS skis.
         Jump to Top
Jack
#8  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 11:26
Yeh the standard is fairly high...2/10 passed the wk I did it, the course is probably at least as tough as the grade 2 technical. If you skid at all you`ve nae chance, you must have a good wide stance and leave nice clean 'railtracks' in the snow. I was chuffed to get it but I`ve done a wee bit of racing. Give snowsport scotland a phone...

There is a basi option now too i think
         Jump to Top
Super G
Cumbria
#9  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 11:50
I don't know what to do now! My general skiing is not grade 2 standard yet, but my carving is definatly my strongest skiing technique, no issues with my grade 3 on that at all, its variable I struggle with. I have slalom skis and gs skis and have done some race training and doing some more in November. But don't want to turn up and make a fool of myself.
         Jump to Top
Jack
#10  Re: APC level 1  15 Sep '05 at 12:32
och give it a crack - its only a 1hr max resit anyway if you don`t nail it this time...Certainly a wide range of abilities when I did it so don`t worry on that score. Not a bad course all in all - very race focussed unsuprisingly
         Jump to Top
Super G
Cumbria
#11  Re: APC level 1  16 Sep '05 at 06:12

Originally posted by Jack

och give it a crack - its only a 1hr max resit anyway if you don`t nail it this time...Certainly a wide range of abilities when I did it so don`t worry on that score. Not a bad course all in all - very race focussed unsuprisingly

Ok.......I'm going to do it!!
         Jump to Top
Jack
#12  Re: APC level 1  16 Sep '05 at 09:04
Good lad!!
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#13  Re: APC level 1  16 Sep '05 at 09:24

Good lad...

...y
         Jump to Top
Super G
Cumbria
#14  Re: APC level 1  16 Sep '05 at 11:21

Originally posted by mista

Good lad...

...y

Thankyou Mista
         Jump to Top
Jack
#15  Re: APC level 1  16 Sep '05 at 14:20
Apologies!
         Jump to Top

Next >
Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort