any luck on accomodation in Whistler? //

Author
  Topic Started By:  westcoasta    On:  Wed 7th September, 2005 at 15:27
westcoasta
North Wales
#1  any luck on accomodation in Whistler?  7 Sep '05 at 15:27
Like many i'm also looking for accomodation in Whistler. There appears to be a few options,

(a)either aim to get work with the resort and get subsidised staff housing
(b) pay alot upfront with a British seasonaire chalet or
(c) go with a privately let house.

As money's tight i'm not keen on shelling out 2500 quid upfront.

From looking at www.piquenewsmagazine.com it seems that there are plenty of privately let rooms or houses that work out alot cheaper.

What do other people think? One downside is not knowing who you were moving in with i suppose.
Charlie dont surf
         Jump to Top
Suzie G
Leeds
#2  Re: any luck on accomodation in Whistler?  7 Sep '05 at 15:49
When are you planning on getting to Whistler? The reason I ask is that when I arrived in Whistler early December last year there were LOADS of people looking for accomodation and not many places available.

I would suggest either arriving a bit earlier or sorting out something before you get there. With some private lets (via Pique) it might be a bit difficult securing something before you go (as landlords often like to meet you and require some money to secure), but definately worth a try.

Otherwise, you could always arrange accomodation in a seasonaires chalet for a month or so. I know it is expensive but at least then you know you have somewhere to stay and can settle in and concentrate on enjoying yourself without the immediate worry of accomodation. You could then find somewhere cheaper to stay (say, end of January) when things have calmed down a bit, although it might be a bit of a wrench leaving a lush seasonaires chalet!!

Hope that helps a bit. Good luck!
         Jump to Top
westcoasta
North Wales
#3  Re: any luck on accomodation in Whistler?  7 Sep '05 at 17:54
Hi Suzie, yeh not to worry i'm arriving mid October to get to the recruitment fair and beat the crowds.

A months accomodation in for example, Seasonit.co.uk costs 600 quid , which ideally would last me 2 months elsewhere. I agree that it would be reassuring to know you have somewhere sorted but cost wise it's not a viable option for me.

If i find somewhere private that seems ok i'll probably see if i can stick a deposit down , but obviously i wouldn't really know unless i'd viewed a property in person.

It's probably going to be a case of booking in with HOUSE for the duration of the recruitment fair then fingers crossed once i've a job going from there.

Does that sound overly risky?
Charlie dont surf
         Jump to Top
bonzai
Squamish, Whistler & Vancouver
#4  Re: any luck on accomodation in Whistler?  7 Sep '05 at 22:02
You'll be in the same boat as lots of others in terms of hoping for a place in HOUSE if you get a job with Intrawest, but that doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. There's always either the Shoestring Lodge or the hostel in Creekside if you need something for a couple of weeks if the job thing doesn't work out.
You're right about the difficulties in finding something while you're not in Whistler to view & most landlords will want to speak to you face to face. Also I suggest you take some form of written reference with you (at least 2) as it is common to be asked for this with a private let.
You'll find lots of people in the same situation as you and it's quite common to end up meeting people in the bars who are looking for a house share ... in fact over the last few weeks there have been several similar questions on here.
My big piece of advice would be to get to an internet cafe on a Thursday at 3pm which is when the www.piquenewsmagazine.com website is updated ... if you wait until the Friday when the hard copy comes out you could miss out. You'll probably find a bunch of others there doing exactly the same ;-)
Time for my medication please nurse
         Jump to Top
westcoasta
North Wales
#5  Re: any luck on accomodation in Whistler?  8 Sep '05 at 08:59
cheers bonzai, appreciating the advice. So there should be enough lets available in the piquenews by the sounds of it, even in mid october.

I hope .....

cheers
Charlie dont surf
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason