Another confused individual //

Author
  Topic Started By:  so_confused    On:  Tue 18th October, 2005 at 00:09
so_confused
West Mids, no mountains here -boo hoo!
#1  Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 00:09
OK, so I know these types of questions have been asked about a hundred times before, but I am SERIOUSLY confused about what to do. The situation is this:

-Have just jacked in my boring stressful office job and am looking forward to 5 months of snow and a bit of work.
-Thought I was sorted when I was offered a chalet host position with Le Chardon in Val D'Isere (chefs in chalets so no cooking - bonus)
-Have just been offered a resort rep position in St Anton with Simply Ski (sorry - Crystal Finest), and am now in a complete quandry about which to take.

I would REALLY, REALLy appreciate some advice from experienced seasonnaires about the roles, the companies and the resorts as this will be my first season and I really want to have a blast.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!
         Jump to Top
bonzai
Squamish, Whistler & Vancouver
#2  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 00:20
Val D'Isere is a superb resort with plenty night life ... some of my favourite runs are actually in Tignes which is part of the same vast ski area. Some people find the large number of Brits a negative aspect, but if it is your first season then it should make it a little easier to settle in. It has a long season too so you should still be skiing/boarding happily in to April.
As I haven't been to St. Anton I can't comment other than have heard lots of good things about it too. Either way I don't see you having a problem with one resort from a purely ski resort perspective ... others may be able to advise on the differences between the 2 companies.
Time for my medication please nurse
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#4  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 08:55
The overall standard of chardon lodges is MUCH higher so you might have to work hard at your cleaning and service, but then again, rep work is more so you would have to do more work in another way.

Would personally go for chardon - simpler work - possibility of HUGE tips etc etc, woudn't go for Crystal Finest this year - transition years and complications like that are worth missing out on esp as a rep who would have to answer to any guest problems!
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#5  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 09:03
Largely depends upon whether you want to rep or chalet host.
         Jump to Top
seasonjunkie
#6  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 10:15
Sounds like you want an easy ride this season. In my experience neither jobs are the easiest, infact no job in the alps gives you the ultimate ski time unless you are a fully qualified ski bum.
i was in similar position few years ago, got offered courcheval chalet host and st anton 2nd chef, i knew courcheval and nothing bout st anton but felt that i would get the most out of the job and thought that would be good to try something totally different and went for that. was the best thing i ever did, st anton is fantastic, the skiing and nightlife surpass val d'isere and the people there are great. I would take the plunge and do something different. also Simply ski have good reputation for looking after their staff. good luck with your decition.
         Jump to Top
anno
#7  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 12:40
chalet hosting without cooking is alot easier than repping.. Val's a cool place too, big ski area due to it being linked with Tignes
         Jump to Top
DP
#8  Re: Another confused individual  18 Oct '05 at 14:16
Chardon pay better, and seemed like really nice folks when I spoke to them. They also have some seriously nice chalets so you can expect good tips.
         Jump to Top
so_confused
#9  Re: Another confused individual  22 Oct '05 at 16:46
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. In the end I opted for Le Chardon - so if anyone's heading to Val D'Isere... see you out there

One more quick questions though - is it normal to not get paid during your training period? Seems like you have to shell a quite a bit of your own money at the start of the season when you are working FOR them and are essentially there to make THEM money....?
         Jump to Top
so_confused
#11  Re: Another confused individual  22 Oct '05 at 17:55
Oh dear, now having scond thoughts, having read the contract in detail... think I may be a bit snookered as they took so long getting it to me I had to turn down the other jobs offered to me and there are a few things in it I'm not happy with...damn.
         Jump to Top
Ilovesnow
London
#13  Re: Another confused individual  22 Oct '05 at 18:49
I worked for le chardon last year, as a chef....am going back again this year....leave in 3 weeks!!!!

Was quite hard work, but you do get skiing by 11am......as long as your guests dont stay in bed all morning.

Great tips....enough to fund going out.....
Good skis/boots etc from hire shop.....
Awesome chalets.....
Lots of staff per guest....
good accommodation (apart from 1 bedroom they are all in apartments - not in the chalet!)

Definately worth it...!
         Jump to Top
quazimuppet
london/chamonix
#14  Re: Another confused individual  9 Nov '05 at 00:36
you need to push chardon to pay you for your training week, unless you want to be cleaning a chalet for free for a week!! which is what we ended up doing last year!!! they came through with the money. need to go through contract and deal with head guy directly, and do it before you leave!!
         Jump to Top
belgian vince
just back from australia, already back in austria
#15  Re: Another confused individual  9 Nov '05 at 07:36
val d or stanton - not easy a choice but an easy one for me, i'm doing stanton this year (actually covering like 75% of tirol, just noth the north) so i'd say: join in on the fun

"schi - foahr'n, schi- foahr'n, lalalala lalala lalala"
"There is no sense of possibility if there is no reality, but I could be wrong of course" - R. Musil
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#16  Re: Another confused individual  9 Nov '05 at 08:15
sometimes you aren't paid during training, but you end up with the money at the end of the season for it as part of the retainer / bonus thingy.

all boils down to the knobs that accept 4 jobs and then turn up for one coach etc meaning the ops need to have a way of ensuring all their staff really do mean to work for them, and taking their money is the only way.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort
- What am I doing wrong!
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- Appartment available for seaon in La Joue du Loup
- INTERVIEW with workaseason as a KP/NP
- Kitchen assistant interview with workaseason
- Skype interview
- Do you need a Food Hygiene Certificate for Chalet
- Skishop job in Val Thorens