andorra 'soldeu' //

Author
  Topic Started By:  andyj    On:  Fri 16th September, 2005 at 16:48
andyj
essex / mammoth
#1  andorra 'soldeu'  16 Sep '05 at 16:48
hey guys im off to andorra in january anyone been whats it like out there?
         Jump to Top
rodent
From Vail back to London
#2  Re: andorra 'soldeu'  16 Sep '05 at 16:54
soldeu is OK, only been there in the summer, but for skiing is part of Grand Valiara (sp!) area and so you can ski Pas de La Casa on the same pass in the same area. Town middling ugly, but quite good nightlife. you can cross andorra in about 30 minutes by car so you can get to Arinsal / Pal to the other ski area if you want.

Overalll i think soldeu would be the best resort to go to as Pas de la casa is a huge duty free resort full of electrics shops, and Arinsal is a smaller ski area. Have mountain biked there so only been up one lift, but think its better than its reputation gives it credit for!!!!
         Jump to Top
skiingsista
Notre Dame de Bellecombe, France
#3  Re: andorra 'soldeu'  16 Sep '05 at 19:16
Yeah Soldeu certainly has its advantages... as Rodent said, you're linked up with the GrandValira linked ski area, in fact, you're right in the middle of it - which is great as that means it'll be easy for you to explore all over the place. There's a huge variety of different runs ranging from easy greens to more challenging blacks. If you're experienced and fancy a sense of accomplishment at the end of the day, the "Avet" black run, which runs directly under the main gondola lift, is a good way of getting back to the village.

If you're not so experienced, Soldeu has one of the best (well, definitely one of the biggest) ski schools in Europe, which is tailored to the large number of British guests who go to Andorra, so you'll most likely get a British instructor if you're doing ski school. You'll also be able to choose whether you want morning classes or afternoon classes, provided that you get to the ski school office early enough on the first day!

Add to that the fact that Soldeu has quite lively nightlife with several decent bars serving relatively cheap drinks, and you're all sorted. Try Fat Albert's if you want to party till late, or the Iceberg bar for their 2-for-1 happy hour every day.

My only real gripes with Andorra are the fact that it's so full of rowdy Brits, the place really does have a very British feel (although to some that may be a good thing)... and the fact that the place doesn't have any real character or traditional atmosphere - you can't go anywhere without seeing the GrandValira corporate logo which is plastered over everything, even the drinks cups you get in the restaurant! All the mountain restaurants look pretty much the same as they are all owned by the GrandValira company and they all sell the same stuff at the same outrageously expensive prices. Personally I prefer a bit of tradition, variation and an international atmosphere when I go skiing, but I guess you can't have everything!

Overall, I'd still recommend Andorra as the actual skiing itself is excellent, with so many runs you'll never get bored! It's also good value for money (with the exception of the mountain restaurants) as long as you don't mind sacrificing the traditional atmosphere you get in so many other ski resorts.
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere