andorra ski hol //

Author
  Topic Started By:  sundaygirl    On:  Fri 28th December, 2007 at 03:34
sundaygirl
#1  andorra ski hol  28 Dec '07 at 03:34
Looking for advice about best resort to head to in Andorra? Looking for a decent resort and a good nightlife too.

We're only heading there for a week or 2 from the uk, are we best to get package ski hol or cheap flight and hostel it?

Also how much should we expect to pay for renting equipment and lessons? I have my own gear, but my friend will need to hire and get a lesson or two. Because its duty free is the gear cheaper to buy over there? I might be tempted by a new board...

Thanks
         Jump to Top
skisimon
Gloucester/Plymouth
#2  Re: andorra ski hol  28 Dec '07 at 03:59
Pas de la Casa for nightlife, Soldeu for a more rounded village. Somewhere like El Tarter (a couple of kms up the road from Soldeu) though would probably be cheaper, but less lively. In fact anywhere that's part of the GrandValira area should be a good bet. Avoid Pal-Arinsal like the plague though.

I'm going against my own normal stance, but probably best to go with a TO to Andorra (can be hell getting to it from the airport otherwise). You can also get some very good, cheap deals to most of the villages.

Gear rental is fairly priced (only rented a pair of snowblades for a day whilst my skis were serviced, but good value). Can't comment on where you'd be better off buying, although I doubt you'd be ripped off - just have a look around here before you go, then compare once you're out there is the best advice.
         Jump to Top
kgohery
Dublin
#3  Re: andorra ski hol  10 Jan '08 at 13:38
I stayed in Encamp and it was completely dead. A couple of guys taxi'd it over to Pas de la Casa and they looked sufficiently ruined the next day to tell me it was a good night!!

Basically stay away from Encamp
         Jump to Top
will_uk
Manchester, UK
#4  Re: andorra ski hol  10 Jan '08 at 21:59

Originally posted by skisimon

Pas de la Casa for nightlife, Soldeu for a more rounded village.
I'm going against my own normal stance, but probably best to go with a TO to Andorra (can be hell getting to it from the airport otherwise). You can also get some very good, cheap deals to most of the villages.

Also known as Ibiza on Ice.
That's the first place I ever strapped on a snowboard - never been back (I fell into the Chamonix trap) but I have fond memories.

I went for something stupid like £200 full board with Crystal in Feb 2000. Got a late deal (about a week's notice) from Teletext.

As for the nightlife... There's a lot of it - the booze flows cheaply - there's everything you need to get anywhere from a bit of food and a few drinks in you all the way up to so ruined you miss a whole day on the hill.

Oh and for the record... When someone realises you can buy Alcool (99% alcohol by volume) - take hold of them and drag them out of the shop - nobody needs to be that drunk in a mountain resort. I was the one doing the dragging - my buddies ignored me, bought some and got blitzed the next day. They were MESSY.
Chamonix - gotta love it.
2008 season here I come!
         Jump to Top
IzzyWizz
Soldeu
#5  Re: andorra ski hol  11 Jan '08 at 18:58
Soldeu (Grand Valira) - for nightlife, choice of accommodation, and the ski school has an awesome reputation - and won't cost the proverbial arm (or leg).

Generally, TO packages are pretty good value - and prices for boards etc will make you spend, spend spend .....

Enjoy
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#6  Re: andorra ski hol  15 Jan '08 at 16:47

Originally posted by kgohery

Kgoers,

I've only ever been on one proper package skiing holiday and that was to Andorra and we stayed in Encamp.

From what I remember* of it we had a great time with never a dull moment, of course the company I was keeping would have had a great deal to do with this - as it does in most cases.

I remain,

Boggars

*Memories slightly hazy due to the fact that the holiday was in nineteen eighty mumble mumble and beer cost about 30 pence!
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#7  Re: andorra ski hol  15 Jan '08 at 16:53

Originally posted by Boggart

Originally posted by kgohery

Kgoers,

I've only ever been on one proper package skiing holiday and that was to Andorra and we stayed in Encamp.

From what I remember* of it we had a great time with never a dull moment, of course the company I was keeping would have had a great deal to do with this - as it does in most cases.

I remain,

Boggars

*Memories slightly hazy due to the fact that the holiday was in nineteen eighty mumble mumble and beer cost about 30 pence!

Boggars - my first sessons were in Encamp - part of 84/85 and all of 85/86 - have never really recovered!
         Jump to Top
Boggart
Somewhere without a paddle….
#8  Re: andorra ski hol  15 Jan '08 at 17:23

Originally posted by mickworld

Boggars - my first sessons were in Encamp - part of 84/85 and all of 85/86 - have never really recovered!

Mickers,

I'm guessing that is seasons? Not sessions, as in drinking?

I remember we stayed in a seriously crap but cheap hotel built on top of of a garage come multi-storey car park. On the other side of the road was, for all intents and purposes a Nissen hut that was one of the best and cheapest bars I've ever been in - think it was called something like the 'Cava Gragh'? One place I do remeber was the Shangra La restaurant, had the worlds biggest T-bone steaks for about £8!

I remain,

Boggars
Don't squeeze the trigger, if you can't stand the recoil. - Johnny Cash

Knowledge is knowing that the tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad. - Miles Kington

"And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show." Humph's last ever ISIHAC sign-off
         Jump to Top
mickworld
London
#9  Re: andorra ski hol  15 Jan '08 at 17:41

Originally posted by Boggart

Originally posted by mickworld

Mickers,

I'm guessing that is seasons? Not sessions, as in drinking?

I remember we stayed in a seriously crap but cheap hotel built on top of of a garage come multi-storey car park. On the other side of the road was, for all intents and purposes a Nissen hut that was one of the best and cheapest bars I've ever been in - think it was called something like the 'Cava Gragh'? One place I do remeber was the Shangra La restaurant, had the worlds biggest T-bone steaks for about £8!

I remain,

Boggars

Seasons and sessions - pretty much the same thing!

Seriously crap hotel in Encamp- that narrows it down to about 40! I do recall one above a car park/garage - not one the hotels we had.

Ah, Shangri-La restaurant, run by Bill and Nancy. Having had the pleasure of eating steaks in, amongst others places, Queensland, Texas and Buenos Aires, I'd still say the Shangri-La had the best steaks I've ever had!
         Jump to Top
kgohery
Dublin
#10  Re: andorra ski hol  15 Jan '08 at 17:53
I'm talking about 2006 and Encamp was completely dead. DEAD!!! Maybe just a quiet week. I had an absolute ball though. Good giggles in Soldeu trying my best Spanish on the Catalan speaking Andorrans after 10 beers. Cheap, good food and good skiing (for beginners like myself). I'd definitely go back, btu maybe try to get closer to the reported debauchery in Pas de la Casa
         Jump to Top
huwjenks
Wales
#11  Re: andorra ski hol  25 Sep '08 at 23:27
Been to Andorra more times than I can remember, Soldeu has to be my recommendation! Plenty of choice for hotels, there's a five* and plenty of 4*'s but the two* Hotel Bruxelles really is not bad at all, doing some great food.

The Soldeu Gondola (in the town centre) is pretty much in the middle of the ski area so about 200km of piste in easy reach.

T Bar, Aspen, Pussycat, Avalanche, Iceberg. All great bars off the top of my head. No chance of you getting bored! And lots of lovely cold San Miguel

Also, there's no problem at all with doing it independantly so long as you book early, like right now! Get a night flight to BCN, stay a night, then a really nice drive up to Andorra. Sorted.
"If it aint snowing, we aint going!"
         Jump to Top
mforrestal
belfast
#12  Re: pal is good  16 Oct '08 at 14:49
have been a few times with family and other times with friends!
slops are not to difficult and drinking is cheap!
and if you want a day off from the snow . you are only three hours away from barelona!! good night life all round have fun!
         Jump to Top

Latest Posts
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort
- How do you get a job?
- Accommodation Le La
- Childcare position Val d'Isere
- Female Bartender Wanted
- Bar staff wanted for a bar in a French ski sresort