a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot..... //

< Prev Next >
Author
  Topic Started By:  meta    On:  Thu 1st September, 2005 at 02:05
thefoolonthehill
somewhere, beyond the sea...
#16  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  1 Sep '05 at 17:34
...so buy board & bindings as well? oooh - the slippery slope of new toys that threatens my every waking hour!

Seriously though - is it worth it, having about as much snowboard experience as your average massai tribesman?
2005-6 Val D; Total/Esprit
         Jump to Top
meta
#17  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  1 Sep '05 at 19:28
Some good advice, thanks to all.
To be more specific than my original post, the reason why I listed those that are, is due to the fact they have been offered to me from a supplier at a very good price. The K2 binding are white as my board is, so I am a little more enthusiastic in that direction. I guess I'll have to see which fit best to the boots that fit best to me.
And now, twaddle as it may be, some advice.

Originally posted by

thefoolonthehill
...so buy board & bindings as well? oooh - the slippery slope of new toys that threatens my every waking hour!

Seriously though - is it worth it, having about as much snowboard experience as your average massai tribesman?

Having previously been advised by many, many times, to stay away from any hire gear, I concluded that I shall buy my own before going out. This, of course, gives me the extra option of taking advantage of hiring ski equipment as offered by the TO. So on those days I feel like a fix of a bit more speed down the slopes, I will be able to take the skis out. Also, when my friends come out at the end of the season, I can go back to the hire shop and swap it for snowboarding gear and so eliminating the need for one of them to fork out the hire costs. Maybe a little cheeky I know, but makes sense.
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#18  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  1 Sep '05 at 21:27

Originally posted by thefoolonthehill

Mista - what do you do in the gym - is this to help reduce injury/improve funtime on the snow, or for your own needs? I'd be keen to know any good preperatory excercises if you;d care to impart that kind of advice...

It isn't really needed... I am working on postural or core muscles and back and stomach muscles mainly. Stuff for balance and twisting - for spins off kickers.

Generally it is good to be reasonably fit so some cardio stuff is useful. Also if you are running run on your toes as much as possible as calf muscles are good for long toe-edge traverses. I am doing a lot of specific stuff involving bosu balls and those big excercise balls that most people use for sit-ups, some free-weights, the specifics would be difficult to describe. Squats and lunges are good too, having not been to the gym for ages I am already good at these from the 2 seasons snowboarding. So these are clearly important.

Oh, also, flexibility is good for not injuring yourself. If you can get used to playing around on a skateboard or a trampoline or both I reckon it could be handy too.

What you up to in Val? PM me if you dont wanna tell everyone!
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#19  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  1 Sep '05 at 21:31
Meta - Go to a shop and try on the ones you have been offered cheap and a whole load of others. If they fit comparatively well then get them on the cheap. If you find that many others fit much better and are much more comfy then avoid them like the plague and get some full price ones that are more suited to you.

Also if you decide to get the full price boots try and see how well they fit the bindings you are thinking of getting. Dont tell the shop staff your reason just ask if you can see how they fit those bindings and make up some reason. This way you will be more likely to get unbiased advice.

Good luck!
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#20  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  1 Sep '05 at 23:36

Originally posted by thefoolonthehill

I would always advise anyone that's going out for longer than two weeks to buy their own boots. IMHO, they're the most important bit so I'd definitely get them sorted before you toddle off on your season. Whether you want to fork out for a board and bindings too is kind of up to you. I'd say it's probably nice to have your own stuff, but you can generally hire some OK board/binding combos - plus you can always find a snowboard that would suit you in end of season sales.

Basically, if you're going to buy anything, get the boots without a doubt. There's other stuff that you'd need to bear in mind (e.g. a really good breathable, waterproof jacket amongst other things) before you start worrying about buying snowboards - sometimes you can get these cheaper in resort, or you can buy ex-demo ones etc. It's a lot easier to find a snowboard that suits you than it is a pair of boots.

All in all, if you're utterly loaded, then buy everything. Otherwise personally, I have a kind of hierarchy of importance, and I buy things depending on the current fund situation and how high up they are on the list! (But then I'm in the rather admirable situation of having pretty much everything on the list. So there :P . Hmm, except snowboard socks. Which is just totally weird and annoying - I had THREE pairs and they have GONE! GONE I tell you... )

Ok I'm going to add one more point based on your Masai tribesman status... If you don't have a huge amount of experience then I'd get some intermediate stiff-ish boots. Don't bother with the low-end ones because you'll be past them after about two days. Likewise you don't want some ridiculously stiff bastards because they won't help you progress and they're probs rubbish if you end up loving the park. I wouldn't bother with a board at this point because you might want to get a bit more experience first. This way you can hire a more low-end one to compensate for your boots being a bit stiffer. Then when you progress onto a stiffer board, you'll have more of an idea of the sort of thing you like to ride. I don't see much point in buying a low-end board either so it's better to be at least intermediate standard before you buy anything. In my humble opinion...

Wow, it's late, this is faaaar too long. I apologise for boring you with My Humble Opinion etc...

Eeeek ONE more point (I've been advised by a little birdie to emphasise this)...the boots HAVE TO FIT YOU RIGHT! i.e. no heel lift, no rubbing. I could go into all the techy ways to ensure they fit but whoever's selling you them will do that. Disregard brand, disregard colour, buy them based purely on fit. THAT is why you want to buy your own over everthing else...Even the smallest bit of heel lift will have you overtightening your laces and/or your bindings which results in the caning of all canings on your shins, then having to sit down for half an hour just for the pain to go away...
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#21  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 02:48

Originally posted by Bags

If you don't have a huge amount of experience then I'd get some intermediate stiff-ish boots. Don't bother with the low-end ones because you'll be past them after about two days. Likewise you don't want some ridiculously stiff bastards because they won't help you progress and they're probs rubbish if you end up loving the park.[/quote:2a25fe9950]

Utter rubbish! buy the stiffest fcukers you can find! I cant emphasise this enough! Dont buy mediocre as you will regret the wasted money a couple of months later!

[quote:2a25fe9950="bags"] I wouldn't bother with a board at this point because you might want to get a bit more experience first. This way you can hire a more low-end one to compensate for your boots being a bit stiffer. Then when you progress onto a stiffer board, you'll have more of an idea of the sort of thing you like to ride. I don't see much point in buying a low-end board either so it's better to be at least intermediate standard before you buy anything. In my humble opinion...

...the boots HAVE TO FIT YOU RIGHT! i.e. no heel lift, no rubbing. I could go into all the techy ways to ensure they fit but whoever's selling you them will do that. Disregard brand, disregard colour, buy them based purely on fit. THAT is why you want to buy your own over everthing else...Even the smallest bit of heel lift will have you overtightening your laces and/or your bindings which results in the caning of all canings on your shins, then having to sit down for half an hour just for the pain to go away...

Couldn't agree more! Dont buy a board until you are decent and need one that is better than the sh*t you get for rental. At this point get yourself a board to match your already top-notch boots (with bindings that match your boots - in terms of size etc...)
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#22  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 10:40

I wouldn't bother with a board at this point because you might want to get a bit more experience first. This way you can hire a more low-end one to compensate for your boots being a bit stiffer. Then when you progress onto a stiffer board, you'll have more of an idea of the sort of thing you like to ride. I don't see much point in buying a low-end board either so it's better to be at least intermediate standard before you buy anything. In my humble opinion...

Agreed - it is so easy to get carried away and try and buy everything before you even start your first season. There's no point buying a board now because you don't know what kind of riding you want to do, and therefore what kind of board you want. Make friends with a rental shop and try as many boards as you can during the season. Work out whether you're a powder hound or a park junkie (or something in between), then if you think you'll come back the next season, buy one in the end of season sales.

Again, you don't need to buy every bit of kit you hear about before your first season - you're only going to want to upgrade it after a few weeks.
         Jump to Top
Bags
London
#23  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 10:41

Originally posted by mista

Utter rubbish! buy the stiffest fcukers you can find! I cant emphasise this enough! Dont buy mediocre as you will regret the wasted money a couple of months later!

Poo off Mista. I never said buy "mediocre". I meant don't go buying a pair of Malamutes if you've only ever had five minutes on a board! I have no idea how much experience any of these people have so my advice was intentionally vague.

I agree with you though, as soon as you are confident enough to go down most pistes without falling over (doesn't take long), then go for high-end kit because you'll only progress past the cheapo stuff rendering it useless for further progression.

Whether you want to go stiff as fcuk straight away is probably up to you. Mista has a good point but it's more about personal preference. Just buy something high-end and it'll last a lot longer. Hopefully you already have a bit of an idea of the sort of riding you want to be doing anyway.

Anyway Mista - what on EARTH were you doing up so late!? That's taking The Evening Crew to its limit... And if you were drunk then I'm especially impressed at your very coherent post. (Even though you disagreed with me. Must do something about this - it seems to be happening a lot. Hmph.)
"I am a very good skier...in my mind. However, video evidence suggests that I'm rubbish. I look like a bus driver in a primary-coloured anorak, sitting on an imaginary lavatory. Also I can only turn right. So to mask my embarrassment, and the pain in my thighs, I ski only when very drunk. I can recommend this wholeheartedly." Jeremy Clarkson
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#24  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 10:42
Having said that i agree with buying boots if you find some that fit you well. Personally i go as stiff as i can find, but i'm much more into freeriding than park. Don't buy second hand boots, but you can buy second hand anything else.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#25  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 11:12

Anyway Mista - what on EARTH were you doing up so late!? That's taking The Evening Crew to its limit... And if you were drunk then I'm especially impressed at your very coherent post. (Even though you disagreed with me. Must do something about this - it seems to be happening a lot. Hmph.)

I have a stupid habit of checking what you have all been up to on natives when I get home. Last night I was thinking - "Dont post anything cos you might regret it", I soon forgot about that
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#27  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 11:40
True, if doing a season I'd reccomend buying in resort unless you can find stuff on sale/cheap, that you know is good quality here.
         Jump to Top
meta
#28  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  2 Sep '05 at 13:55
Mista, Bags, techmoney – your advice had been invaluable to the highest extent. So thank-you.
Being one who makes a fair bit of doh-ray-me, I obviously wanted the top-notch gear. But having read your opinions, I now know to rigorously aim for comfort with my boots. I already have my K2 Recon Riser as I liked the spec and the ‘raiser' technology incorporated there within. I like the idea of matching your bindings manufacturer to the boots, the boots comfortably being the primary objective. So, I shall dedicate a much-valuable hour out of my busy schedule in deciding on the best boots for me. Then, as previously stated, take advantage of the free ski hire offered to kit myself out with ski gear as well.

One last question which has been puzzling me somewhat. There seems to be an un-spoken dispute between sticking to one or the other of the disciplines. I have always had the opinion that Snowboarders have a quarrel with Skiers and vice-versa. Now, although I see snowboarding as being a future deep-passion of mine, I am still very partial to skiing. Others have always had a tiff about the fact I do, enjoy and am reasonably good at both. What is this squabble all about?
Life is like a beautiful melody, only the lyrics are messed up.
         Jump to Top
drifter
NFA
#29  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  3 Sep '05 at 11:18

Originally posted by meta

One last question which has been puzzling me somewhat. There seems to be an un-spoken dispute between sticking to one or the other of the disciplines. I have always had the opinion that Snowboarders have a quarrel with Skiers and vice-versa. Now, although I see snowboarding as being a future deep-passion of mine, I am still very partial to skiing. Others have always had a tiff about the fact I do, enjoy and am reasonably good at both. What is this squabble all about?

Forget it - anyone who takes this squabble as anything more than a joke tends to be either a very bad skier or a very bad snowboarder. Once you get to a semi decent level it's all rubbish. I'm a snowboarder and ride with a mix of skiers and telemarkers. The debate is only ever refuelled by people who do very little of either discipline and think they have to hate the other one to fit in.

However, it is only right to dislike snowbladers (as you'll see on a number of other threads here)
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#30  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  3 Sep '05 at 11:24
Ditto

I would actually like to try a few more days of skiing (have managed a grand total of about 6 hours so far). It is just so easy for me to snowboard as I get into the morning routine etc.. hopefully next season I can get a bit more motivation to get up on skis a bit more.
         Jump to Top
mista
The sticks
#31  Re: a boot for a binding, a binding for a boot.....  3 Sep '05 at 11:30
Just thought I should add... not just comfort (although it is very important) - but snugnes of fit and lack of movement of foot when boot is fully done up. Try them both on, do some stretches that flex the ankle to check for movement and comfort in various stances.
         Jump to Top

< Prev Next >
Latest Posts
- Who Are the 19 Worst Guests in a Ski Chalet?
- Looking for roommate St.Anton season 17/18
- Morzine beds available
- Need a ride to Tignes from Geneva airport tomorrow
- This season, I'm off to...
- Ski Lift operator Jobs
- French speaking male bar staff required!
- Chef/Kitchen Staff Wanted in Les 2 Alpes
- Topic: Sharing seasonal accommodation 2017/18
- lift to any french resort